Cloud Edit Beta (Multi Build Studio) Available for Beta Users

When you start to type in a script, it prevents input for a few seconds while it’s setting the script’s CurrentEditor.

https://a.pomf.cat/wsbuws.mp4

While something minor, it does disrupt workflow and might frustrate some people.

1 Like

Love it so far, but I have 2 suggestions that I think would make things super helpful.

1. The ability to see where other people are at and what direction they are facing, whether that just be a brick with a name above its head or whatever.
2. Along with that, seeing what users are selecting by maybe color that highlights the bricks. maybe this color could be the color of their brick.

This is helpful so I know where they are and what they are currently trying to work on. Other than that I can’t think of anything else I would want.

Edit: Example I made, I think we might make a plugin for this for now till they add it themselves.

Framerate is actually smooth, its just that I recorded the gif at a lowish framerate

10 Likes

Before it was found that Terrain properties don’t replicate, but it appears parenting anything to Terrain doesn’t replicate. That intended?

How are you getting their position?

You have to do it to yourself locally, you just attach a brick to your camera, trying to convince @quenty to make the plugin cause im too lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. This is super key. We have already implemented this. It’s shipping in our next release. Thanks!

6 Likes

How does saving work?

It saves automatically every five minutes and when the last player leaves

1 Like

hit me up with editing permission

Also, it would be cool if instead of locking scripts that people are editing, it shows their | thing that shows where they are typing like in google docs. I feel like this would be super useful for projects with multiple scripters or people teaching scripting.

1 Like

Done

That’s the same issue actually. We have a fix for this hopefully shipping this week (fingers crossed).

I want to try this with TheAmazeman so much.

I think it would be cool to have a Cloud Edit option inside studio and the ability to invite other people into your session.
If it’s absolutely necessary to have the place uploaded somewhere then the process would go something like this:

1. Open studio
  2. Open a place of yours
  3. Tools>Cloud Edit>Begin Session
    3.5. If the place isn’t published somewhere, it will prompt you to do so before going into cloud edit mode.
  4. New studio window opens in cloud edit mode of the place.
  5. Tools>Cloud Edit>Invite User
  6. Type in the username of the person you want to join you.
  7. They get the invite somewhere and can join your cloud edit session.

Not sure how they’ll get the invite. Possibly a notification in their web browser?

On a side note, I don’t really like the 5 minute auto publishing. Seems like it would be far better to have the users save when the game is stable, rather than overwriting what was a stable game to an in-the-works state.

Edit: Could also be cool if the invited player didn’t need edit permissions, but is granted temporary permissions for the session they were invited to.

4 Likes

What do your studio script color settings look like?

2 Likes

Can you guys accept more beta testers? I posted my username months ago.

2 Likes

We need a second commandline (or an option) to run serverside code without having to run the game.
I know F9 works, but that’s no fun since it only has identity 2 :disappointed_relieved:

Also, currently, when you press Play Solo, it opens a new (local) game instance, as in offline mode.
The same happens when you pressing Run, which opens a new game instance instead of running the current one.
There’s no way to run it online, is there?

1 Like

Nope, but maybe next year,

For teaching, yes, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of professional programmers working on code at the same time in a google doc - like format before. It’d be way too chaotic. Using Github to collaborate on code would be a much better alternative, and we’ll be able to do that whenever place files are converted to folders + individual files for assets.

Maybe if you’ve got a ton of editors, but I don’t see how two developers skyping and working on the same script would get chaotic. I understand this isn’t for everyone but it’d be nice to have the option.

Basicly something like piratepad (or stypi, which is RIP) but in roblox?
You could just use piratepad itself and link it up in studio.

1 Like