Human Verification for PM's

An issue that have been plaguing users of Roblox recently is spam in their PM boxes. The spam tends to consist of messages that try to get users to join groups (Because they played X game, and they’re ‘experienced’). Sometimes, it can be used for malicious purposes (Such as sending cryptic messages to discourage players from playing a certain game, or trying to get users to go to phishing sites).

Example of spam:

Example of harassing bot-messages:

I think that a form of human verification (Nocaptcha would work great) for when a player sends X amount of messages in a certain period of time. Nocaptcha is easy to implement, and is easy for end-players to use.

Nocaptcha article: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2014/12/are-you-robot-introducing-no-captcha.html

1 Like

Support. Too many groups are starting to do this, eventually it’ll be commonplace.

I am now getting botted messages for… school groups. Please, I want human verification, this is getting out of hand.

I legitimately get 5 automated group-invite messages every day. Please implement some sort of system to prevent that.

Totally agree, for now my solution is to make it so only Followers can PM you and leave a message on blurb to follow me in order to PM. (Since spammers aren’t considerate enough to follow us)

Yes… Seriously please fix.

I reported this issue a while ago, it’s ridiculous that groups do this.

But there are people that use bots to PM themselves for example and I know that I’ll send less PMs if I need to fill in any sort of human verification.

A good solution is what MunimR said.

@Nomis002.
The users that are PMing themself is really low, and I don’t want to receive that amount of spam. ‘fixing this’ by turning on Followers Only is not a fix, they will just come up with a way to follow us instead…

I use a bot that use the PM-system and sends messages to other users, but only when they have activated the bot, so it does not spam messages.
There could be another way to filter out spam.

:uhhh:

Yeah this is pretty annoying. :confused:

After a few hours of playing Lumber Tycoon 2:

And it continued the next day.

Seriously, this pushes the importance for my planned PM filters on my Chrome Extension up the to-do-list. Navbar editor first, tho’

There are a bunch of cool captcha systems. Strawpoll has begun using human verification too now - and it can be anything from word phrases to shapes (triangles, hourglasses, etc) to other kinds of tasks.

How come you guys are getting apparently hundreds of messages a day while I’m getting absolutely zero? Does it only send messages to people in certain groups or something, what’s the criteria for being spammed? (My messages are open to everyone as well, even non-followers)

No clue. I’m not in any noteworthy groups, so I doubt it’s based on that. As8D said he got those PMs after playing lumber tycoon, and it’s the samw case for me, so I assume they have bots that prowl front page game servers for people (you’re only inviting active people this way) and PM people on that list.

Just an FYI, ROBLOX already has a limit on the number of messages you can send in I think a 15 minute period. So obviously these users are using a bot that avoids that limit. Thus, it wouldn’t get caught by the bot. I simply have PMs to to friends and people I follow. Because if you need to contact me, I have a twitter. Use that.

Bots trawl the players that are in front page games. Either you don’t play front-page games or you have messages disabled.

Can we get this pls.

And no, PM utility bots are not more important than keeping the entire ROBLOX populations’ inboxes free of spam. Bye bye PM bots.

Please…

[quote]

“We notice you an extremely skilled ,” [/quote]
Many non-war groups are now using bots now.

Okay this is getting ridiculous. I join Phantom Forces and then exit the game seconds later and I already have one of these in my inbox:

I can’t imagine how the largest portion of ROBLOX’s audience (game-players) is managing their inboxes when they get spammed every time they play games. This is a serious problem and needs to be taken care of now.