I'd really love to be able to rotate a skybox

I was actually just thinking about this. It’s 2023, I wish we had this feature, it would be super useful.

Along with this, I think Roblox should consider adding a way to show which side of the skybox is which in the viewport (eg replace textures with ones that say front, back, etc) it seeks simple but it honestly can get jumbled up sometimes.

Here’s an example of a skybox in omegaspace. It’s great but if I wanted to rotate it I’d have to edit the skybox and reupload which is a pain. While we’re at it, if you look closely the black levels are not great and it’s because the images were made with high bit depth but Roblox limits us. If it was not a huge engine hassle I would love it if Roblox could overhaul the skybox system to implement the suggestions made here

3 Likes

Skyboxes, in general, need to be updated.

Can you just use a spherical skybox mesh, anchor it to the camera with a script, and rotate it that way? I’ve used this to show a sky in a ViewportFrame, but never in the actual game.

1 Like

That has its own limitations, such as all that comes with rendering a spherical mesh (not really all that much, but still, just another object to render), and the fact that you won’t be able to see the actual sun and moon (and stars) using this method.

2 Likes

Unrelated to this thread, holy cow this is a trip down memory lane… almost brings tears to my eyes about how far everythings progressed.

I think some scripter could make a fake skybox that does the same thing, even to the point of setting the position of a sun and moon decal based on TimeOfDay and GeographicalLatitude. It’s just slightly off from the real thing.

I kinda agree that a rotational Vector3 should be added if it doesn’t take Roblox way too much effort.
And further properties on the skybox wouldn’t hurt me, it would give users more ways to design their experiences.

I just don’t think there are many games that really need a spinning skybox, which is probably a reason it has not been added yet.