I'd really love to be able to rotate a skybox

This is something I’ve wanted for years now.

You could have a double sided sky, top half being day and bottom half being night. You could rotate the sky for a custom night sky. You could also have a sky filled with clouds and have it slowly rotate, the clouds would appear to move. I’m sure I could come up with more uses with time but I’d love this feature. It’d be amazing and it would immerse players into the game even more.

47 Likes

Thinking outside the box I see

14 Likes

[solved]

1 Like

I have a plugin for it that lets you drag the sun. I forget where I got it though, look around and I’m sure you’ll be able to find it.

2 Likes

Found it. This makes me think I’m too lazy.
https://github.com/Anaminus/roblox-control-sun

2 Likes

It is possible, by changing the GeographicLatitude, to change the horizontal position of the sky, while TimeOfDay can be used to change the vertical position. Anaminus has created a plugin (which was mentioned before in this thread) that can be used to move the sun exactly where is desired.

3 Likes

I don’t think you guys understand. I don’t want to move those objects. I want the box itself to be able to spin.

Like the skybox would literally rotate rather than it be a box that stays in one place. I don’t care about moving the sun and I understand its already possible.

8 Likes

You can get an effect similar to rotating the skybox by rotating all the physical objects in the workspace and rotating the camera using SetRoll to rotate horizontally or CoordinateFrame and Focus to rotate vertically.

Of course that’s a terrible way to do it and I’m not at all recommending you do that or not at all suggesting that as an alternative to getting this feature.

2 Likes

Support ! Skyboxes really need to get updated. I think that first, we should be allowed to upload our own skyboxes (Yes, in a sense you already can by uploading decals… But their low-definition and the white square that appears around theme make them totally not suited for skyboxes :unsure: )

1 Like

HDR Skydomes anyone?

3 Likes

Pretty much

old thread is old. I still want a rotation vector for skyboxes.
http://devforum.roblox.com/t/im-bringing-it-up-one-last-time-spinning-skyboxes/609/3

9 Likes

On my thread when we had kuenna forum an admin edited it and put a conf tag saying they was putting it forward for consideration of something like that.

3 Likes

There are so many features that could be added to skyboxes, this is one I’d like.

Sorta related: I built a map and north is the wrong direction, I’d rotate it but I’d lose terrain details T_T I could change the sun’s path by editing geographic latitude, but I don’t think it can do that.
Maybe it could be possible to rotate Lighting, which would rotate the skybox and future skybox features.

8 Likes

Yes yes yes yes yes :+1:

9 Likes

Still waiting on this feature! I hope someone sees this ;-;

3 Likes

This is such a necessary feature that i feel it needs more support.

What i want to do is have the ability to rotate the skybox. Currently, it is impossible to do so, and developers are forced to either:

• Scrap the idea of rotating the skybox, hindering the player experience

or

• Create their own panel meshes, position them as far away as rendering permits, add the skybox decals to the custom skybox, and have a result that is extremely low in quality and possibly may not render correctly, hindering the player experience.

Here is an example of my attempt of making a lobby.

https://gyazo.com/15b8afd94f7045476bc5d83083c3dc53

In this video, you can see the space station the player spawns in. The space station uses the concept of centrifugal force to create artificial gravity. to make it appear as though the player is moving around the hull of the station, i rotate my attempt at a custom skybox with the hull to make the effect. This custom skybox model took quite a few hours to make, consisting of 6 panels, each of which have a decal on them with the Image ID of the original skybox. Unfortunately, the decal instead of adhering to one face like it normally does with parts is instead wrapping around the entire mesh, expanding the image, and distorting the skybox.

6 Likes

That’s because you used Decals. Unwrap your mesh correctly and create a texture of your skybox. It seems like your case doesn’t need the ability to change individual faces, so there shouldn’t be an issue.

But yes, every major engine has this feature and it is somewhat strange that Roblox never implemented it despite it being a fairly simple concept.

Roblox probably hasn’t updated their skybox system because their vision is procedural skies. Unfortunately they keep pushing that back :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I personally would love this feature for the same reason @Dudeguy90539 wants it. It’d also make games feel much more alive if I could make clouds move and stuff. This one feature would add so much more depth to skies.

i suppose im a little bit too late but oh well,
if anyone is still looking for a solution u can follow this tutorial i made: Animated Skybox For Roblox Studio