Image scaling creating Ugly borders on GUIs

This image:

Is meant to look like this:

There’s dark outlines around the images that shouldn’t be there.
I am pretty sure this is because of Roblox’s image scaling system.

[ul]
[li]Is there a way to overcome this?[/li]
[li]Are ROBLOX planning on fixing this?[/li]
[/ul]

2 Likes

it occurs where an image is scaled down below it’s starting size
roblox fixed it, but turned off the fix
have to guess roblox are trying to fix it although it sure is taking it’s time
only way to over come it is to wait for roblox to fix or make sure your gui’s are 100% the same size in game as they are on the software you created them on

either way, they dont look bad.

We do this for all ScreenGuis, but these in particular are stud-scaled BillboardGuis, and therefore are almost never the same size as the software on which they were created

They did fix this a bunch of times, but they had to turn the changes off because they created other issues. IT would be nice if ROBLOX fixed this problem once and for all, as it would allow us to make games look way more professional.

This issue is a bane to GUIs everywhere. It’s especially horrible to have on white GUIs.

To be honest, I think the effect looks good on your GUIs. It gives it a sense of depth, which makes it seem more real.

Was the image assets uploaded recently? An update was made a way back that fixed this issue, but only for new assets. Gorgeous UI design, by the way.

Obviously he is aiming for flatness here. I don’t think outlines are very flat.

The assets were uploaded shortly before the post was made

The assets were uploaded shortly before the post was made[/quote]

Oh that’s not good at all. I was under the impression that the scaling border thingy was fixed in GUIs. I guess not then. Is the GUI size static or scaling?

Scaling size is used, which means that these pesky grey outlines are almost always visible. Making the GUIs statically sized is not really an option for this case.

Scaling size is used, which means that these pesky grey outlines are almost always visible. Making the GUIs statically sized is not really an option for this case.[/quote]

I see. One alternative for your case would be to update the texture to a smaller size for every update. This is not optimal though, of course. The only thing I’d see that would 100% solve this is to use to-scale images and have them static.

It may just be better to wait for ROBLOX to fix this than to compromise the functionality of the GUI.

It’s a known issue among game developers, but is mostly prevented in modern game engines. It derives from bilinear scaling when the 100% alpha pixels surrounding opaque pixels share their color data which often is the color black, hence the black outlines.

I personally discussed about it in RDC west.

The only way to prevent this artifact right now is to not use scaling for your decals, but I myself got tired of polishing my GUIs like that. Just accept it like it is until Roblox fixes it.

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but is this going to be permanently fixed sometime soon? This is a massive pain in the neck to work around when trying to design GUIs.

1 Like

This is still happening now lol.