New Chat System Now Live!

Another thing I noticed is that this happens randomly as well, even when not respawning. I will be typing and the next thing you know, I’m not typing, and what I was typing is gone.

A fix for this is coming. We are adding a new ScreenGui ResetOnSpawn property. http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/ScreenGui/ResetOnSpawn
We should be able to enable this soon.

3 Likes

This is when a screengui is added to playergui. Will be fixed with the above.

I’ve been coming across this pretty random issue where the chatbox refuses to show up at all during the entirety of one’s play session. No errors appear in the output and you can still send messages, but you can’t see anything you’re typing. I can’t repro the issue as I can’t consistently trigger it, but I’m wondering if it has to do with the fact that my game uses SetCoreGuiEnabled to turn all the CoreGui off during the game’s loading sequence, then reenables them when the sequence is finished.

I added a custom chat module that posts an image to chat, so I don’t know if it’s because of my shoddy scripting (it probably is), but I got an error like this as well.

1. Bubble chat still shows the message
  2. The text line is empty in chat gui (completely blank)
  3. It is blank for everyone
  4. Can’t consistently trigger it

Are people supposed to see emotes being done or /cmds or /? or /help?

Starting seeing people talking about it at this game.

(Edited, removed the link and user mention as requested by the user)

For some reason holding backspace no longer works and I must mash it to delete what I’ve typed.

The chat fade-in/out doesn’t feel very smooth, will that be changed?

1 Like

What if, is there’s a folder Chat.Plugins or something similar?
All modules in there would be, once the chat is loaded, parented to the ChatService module and required.
They can then use require(script.Parent) and not worry about the hierarchy changing, missing updates, …

I have no idea why that might be happening, which game does it happen in?

1 Like

No, people are not supposed to see emotes, it is filtered out. If a developer wants people to see emotes in their game they can copy the chat and edit these remove these 3 lines in ChatServiceRunner.

elseif (string.sub(message, 1, 3) == "/e " or string.sub(message, 1, 7) == "/emote ") then
         -- Just don't show these in the chatlog. The animation script listens on these.
	return true
1 Like

The ChatModules is meant to be like a Plugins folder where you can just insert your modules or remove the ones that are in there. I think maybe if there was a way to mark whether you wanted the default modules added this would be better, like maybe if there was a bool value in ChatModules for this.

1 Like

Since the chat by default uses the / prefix for the commands shouldn’t there be a message shown to the player that the attempted command they entered isn’t a valid one for instance, it would save the trouble of players constantly having to ask ‘how to do x or so’. The old chat system would also never display messages starting with the / prefix anyways.

blob.png

4 Likes

What platform is this on? Repeated text input events never worked correctly in studio (maybe the old chat did something special around this). I have a fix for repeated text input events that should be out soon. This should make them work consistently across all platforms.

1 Like

Can you send me the file for this? I can investigate it.

1 Like

But one that isn’t a descendant of ChatService, so you don’t need to “overwrite” it (as you don’t change any code)

I will probably add this.

I’m not sure if it’s me but I think that there is something wrong with the whisper chat, it always says {To %Player%} even though it should be {From %Player%} (I believe). (Unless this is intentional with the way channels are named.)

This is not intentional and is a bug. I have already got a fix for it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Had been getting reports of it here:

Personally experienced it here, although when I delayed hiding the chat with SetCoreGuiEnabled, it’s been happening less frequently: