New Chat System Now Live!

Bug with the /t command:

“/t /t hi” says “hi” in team chat, should be “/t hi” in team chat

I guess I should just ignore /team commands when you are already in the team channel. /t /t breaks because it swallows the first /t, switches to the Team channel and then sends the rest of the message. Commands are still processed on the rest of the message so things like “/team /me hello world!” work.

I posted a bug report with switching team colors here, including a repro.

Edit: And a fix is coming.

I made a thread in developer discussions looking for feedback on the best way to allow developers to customize parts of the chat without overriding the whole thing.
http://devforum.roblox.com/t/opinions-on-partial-chat-overriding/31379

Windows 10, in Studio.

Will the chat fading be smoothed?

1 Like

Does this only happen in studio, or online? The chat fading in and out currently runs at 20 frames per second, so we could probably make it higher.

Only in Studio.

Can it be made 60 FPS?

edit: The chat GUI’s color also doesn’t fit with the top bar’s color, like it did previously.

edit2: It seems that chat messages only count as a command if they begin with "/e ".
Previously, if messages started with a / they wouldn’t get shown but that doesn’t seem to be how it is now.

1 Like

If it’s a studio only problem, there might be more going on, I will investigate later. I will move this to ChatSettings though so developers can change it easily if they want to.

Can you add a “Disabled” button to this whole chat interface?

I rather not have roblox add 30 Scripts, modules and events hogging up the server for my game when Im not even going to use it. So please add a Disabled button.

EDIT: Really cool feature tho, it’s just that I already got my own chat system.

1 Like

http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/StarterGui/SetCore

chatbardisabled, nothing has changed about this

Then what is this?

1 Like

I guess we could add a disabled property to Chat service. The performance impact should not be noticeable when the chat is not in use though.

4 Likes

@TheGamer101 What happend to the new “Admin commands” module, that was in the first 4 versions of the chat?

I ofc have a copy of it, but why isn’t it in the current updated chat?

Tbh, lots of admin scripts would probably add support for their admin in the chat.
It would be kind of limiting if there is already something by ROBLOX there.
(and because of all the different admin scripts that’ll ladd support, you have plenty of choice)

Awesome!

Sorry, if this has already been asked before, but I’m guessing we could just remove the chat like so:

StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(Enum.CoreGuiType.Chat, true)

And then use the new chat modules/scripts to “build” a new custom chat without future ROBLOX updates breaking it (or you could choose to keep editing the newest version of the chat)?

As far as I know, there was never an Admin commands module in the chat by default. Maybe you copied it from one of the example places we had, but it is not something we are going to provide by default.

If you want to modify this chat and don’t want to worry about future updates breaking it, you can copy all the components into Chat and save them there. Future updates will not break this and you can still have top bar integration.

1 Like

What about MessageSent:Fire("<insert very bad text that moderators don't like>")?
With the C++ binding in the CoreScripts… (although there’s no way to prevent that while keeping the C++ stuff)

ChatSettings:
module.WindowResizable = true
module.MinimumWindowSize = UDim2.new(0.15, 0, 0.10, 0)
module.MaximumWindowSize = UDim2.new(.5, 0, .5, 0)
module.DefaultWindowPosition = UDim2.new(0, 0, 0, 0)
module.DefaultWindowSizeDesktop = UDim2.new(0.3, 0, 0.25, extraOffset)

Sometimes, the resize bar breaks and breaks the chat.

This player in question reported that “she couldn’t chat anymore, even after rejoining”

More screenshots (from different people)
Example 1

I disabled WindowsResizeable for now.

I clone some ScreenGuis into specific players if that means anything (I think it does in this case.)

Do you know if there is a specific way to reproduce this? Also, do you know if this still happens with MaximumWindowSize set to UDim2.new(1, 0, 1, 0)?