Optimal Amount Of Parts?

[1] How many Instances can one put into a game before it starts to lag?

[2] How many Parts can one put in a game’s workspace before it starts to lag?

Assuming that 95% of all parts are Anchored.

How many Unions?

How many Parts?

How many Wedges?

How many Corner Wedges?

How many Truss Parts?

How many Mesh Parts?

My game currently has 10K parts and it’s gonna have a lot more, maybe like 25K-30K parts

I hired someone to do the building so at the end I will have to remove unnecessary stuff in the build.

7 Likes

It’s up to which kind of PC you want to build for. There’s no sure answer, but generally speaking the fewer parts the better.

4 Likes

You can try duplicating your map 3 times and see for yourself.

14 Likes

You can probably have 100s of thousands of Instances on most devices without any problems, unless you run out of RAM this shouldn’t be an issue by itself.
As for number of parts, that highly depends on the complexity of the parts,i.e the total amounts of triangles used to draw those parts and wether or not they are Anchored, these two things are just as important than the actual amount.
Use Shift + F2 to see the total amount of triangles drawn in any given frame, from what I have seen on the frontpage ~500.000 maximum triangles drawn is a good number to aim for and will perform well for most potatoes/mobile devices.

15 Likes

Like ScriptOn said

My PC is fairly old (8 years) and doesn’t have anything decent…Games start lagging for me at about 30K-50K parts, depending on size, if if any are unions.

Most people have nice enough PCs that can handle 100K+

But for mine, like I said…it’s old. Unions are a huge issue for me, they lag like crazy if I have more than 50.

There isn’t really a “Set Amount” But you just have to consider who might be playing the game, and if you want it to still run well on older PCs.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

This might not have even made any sense. Hope it did though…

9 Likes

My voxel procedural terrain generates up to 400K parts(Only cube parts with 12 triangles) until the server crashed. Whoops. While my mid-tier PC survived with minimal fps drops. I think beefier PCs can handle more, but Roblox’s servers themselves are limited in RAM.

Afterwards I had to add a cap for the number of voxel it generates.

3 Likes

Out of pure curiosity, do you mean voxels as in smooth terrain? Why do you need to generate parts for this?

I’m guessing he’s using literal cube parts, a la minecraft aesthetic.

3 Likes

Voxel as in cubic terrain. Did you mistaken triangles as in wedges? I meant polygons.

1 Like

Converting complex unions to meshes, that reduces lag. There have been a rumor in ROBLOX for so long that unions reduce lag, which I don’t agree to. You can also try sorting stuff in folders, that will balance the game as well.

4 Likes

Unions are almost always more triangles than the same object built in blender due to how inefficiently Roblox creates triangles for them.

4 Likes

Ah, I must have skimmed over that part haha, I understand now.

2 Likes