Remove the character limit on TextBoxes

I just tried to paste a large amount of text into a TextBox for testing purposes and what I pasted got cut off at 1,020 characters. If I paste my clipboard into Notepad, the whole thing pastes, so it wasn’t an issue with how I copied it. I tried typing more into the TextBox afterwards and could, but once I deselected it, everything after 1,020 characters disappeared. It looks like there’s a limitation on how many characters can be in a TextBox.

Is this a bug or a feature? Edit: The Text property page for TextBoxes says there’s a limit of 512 characters. It must have been increased from the time that was posted, but it looks like it’s a feature.

I should be the one to decide how many characters can be in my TextBox. 1,020 characters is not enough in my case. If there’s some internal reason for it I can understand why there’s a limit, but if it was just arbitrarily added that’s even more reason for it to never see the light of day again.

6 Likes

This was added ~2013 IIRC. You used to be able to put an unlimited (or at least REALLY high amount) of characters in TextBoxes, so I don’t think there’s an internal reason for it. Not exactly sure why they limited us to 1,000 characters, but I wish it’d change.

They changed this a long time ago, but from what I remember I may be wrong, but people would paste insanely large strings into text boxes crashing the client and maybe even the server depending on how someone set it up.

It’s been a while and my memory has faded, but I do remember it was a big deal for a little bit.

StringValues also have a character limit, albeit much larger. The GUI character limit should also be 200,000.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the content filter cuts it off.
I ran into this while working on the dev console command line.