Rotations with quaternions

Quaternions are numbers which provide a convenient method of describing rotations in 3D space. However, they are not easy to grasp with the mind's eye because they are 4-dimensional, and unfortunately we don't have 4-dimensional eyes to see them with. In this guide I will show several ways to look at quaternions from a simpler perspective.

Why use quaternions?

There are advantages offered by quaternions which other parameterizations of 3D rotations do not have. The most attractive feature of quaternions is that gimbal lock never occurs with them, unlike Euler angles. They are also an excellent analytical tool for the mathematically inclined, as they are an (albeit noncommutative) algebra. Keep in mind though that these benefits are not always necessary when doing rotations in 3D space.

What NOT to use quaternions for
  • Spherical linear interpolation (AKA Slerp). There are several ways to do Slerp while avoiding quaternions altogether. Stravant has an implementation here.
  • Low-DOF systems--if you're rotating through only two axes, then the formula CFrame.fromAxisAngle(v1, alpha)(cf-cf.p)CFrame.fromAxisAngle(v2, beta)+cf.p, where v1 and v2 are axes of rotation, avoids gimbal lock. For Euler angles you can use the CFrame.Angles method instead of fromAxisAngle.
What to use quaternions for
  • When 3 or more independent axes of rotation are involved, matrices will always lead to gimbal lock unless one intentionally veers away from singularities in the configuration space. Quaternions, however, may traverse the entire rotation space smoothly with no discontinuities (i.e. gimbal lock).
  • Anything involving continuous, nonlinear rotary interpolation will probably involve quaternions in some form. This is because quaternions provide the only continuous parameterization of 3-dimensional rotation space.

Some articles to read Quaternions are a difficult topic, and I recommend you have some background knowledge before taking them on. This article has some very nice interactive visuals describing complex numbers in a straightforward, understandable manner (plus some extra information about Julia fractals!). This is a nice, low-level resource for Euler angles and quaternions discussing gimbal lock and how to avoid it. On the other hand, if you are brave, then this text, while slightly more technical in language, is much more comprehensive than the former. You should have read Trey's guide on vectors. If you haven't, then please do--we're going to be talking about them a lot.

Humble beginnings

In order to look at quaternions, we'll first examine complex numbers, also known as imaginary numbers. Let's say we have a complex number . We can write it in one of two ways:

• Rectangular form:
  • Polar form:
Rectangular form is nice, because addition and subtraction behave like the usual vector operations. It is also a convenient form for multiplication, where the product is easily computed as . But polar form gives a glimpse at the more fundamental nature of complex numbers. To illustrate -- multiplying two complex numbers adds their angles and multiplies their magnitudes:

It seems far-fetched to think of them as numbers because they don't seem to represent any sort of real-life quantity. Nevertheless, they have all the arithmetic properties of real numbers with the added benefit of being able to perform geometric transformations on the 2-dimensional plane. You can think of complex numbers as an upgrade to real numbers. And while we lose the ability to plot all numbers on a single line (one refers to this as a linear ordering), we gain extra functionality with the complex numbers.

For those of you whoā€™ve taken a course in linear algebra, itā€™s worth noting that complex numbers are superior to 2x2 matrices when combining rotations. While it takes 8 multiplications and 4 additions to multiply 2 rotation matrices, it only takes 4 multiplications and 2 additions via complex numbers. And while using a single parameter to represent the angle avoids these two procedures altogether, quaternions provide an alternative where no linear parameterization exists. Furthermore, the advantage in efficiency is greatly exaggerated in 3 dimensions!

So what are quaternions?

Quaternions can be thought of as the mutant offspring of complex numbers. They also happen to have a bit of an interesting history behind them. They were discovered by a man named William Hamilton. He wanted to extend the complex numbers into three dimensions--that is, find a "larger", number system, with one real component and two "imaginary" components, containing the real & complex numbers. As the complex number system itself is an extension of the real numbers, it is quite natural to wonder if there exist different kinds of numbers beyond the complex horizon.

Hamilton wasn't able to do it in three dimensions, but surprisingly he was able to do it in four. A famous story has it that Hamilton was walking along a bridge with his wife when the solution suddenly occurred to him. He carved the defining equation of the quaternions into the bridge:

i, j, and k are referred to as the basis elements. You can think of them as the x, y, and z axes, respectively. Amazingly, these are the only relations needed to define the quaternions -- if one performs a series of hand-waving manipulations, it is possible to derive some additional identities:

Normally we'd assume that the last statement is a contradiction, since it violates the commutative law of multiplication -- but no such restriction applies to the quaternions. An abstract argument explains why quaternions don't commute: because rotations in 3 dimensions are sensitive to the order in which they are applied, a number system that contains 3D rotations must behave the same way. Thankfully, all the other usual laws of arithmetic hold, so you just have to be a little careful when doing stuff with quaternions. Here's a multiplication table:

So we can see that 1 and -1 commute, while i, j, and k anticommute. Therefore a sum of these numbers will be a mixed bag of commuting elements and anticommuting elements.

Finally, if we use the distributive property, then we can "solve" the equation for quaternion multiplication. Let , and defined in the same fashion. Then we have

In particular, this means that

The dot denotes not multiplication, but the vector dot product. If you're not familiar with the dot product, read How to think about vectors. The significance of this is that if I take any vector of unit length and "square" it, I get -1. In other words, our imaginary unit lives in 3-dimensional space:

If you paid careful attention, you may have noticed that the real and imaginary parts of the product from earlier are precisely the (negative) dot and cross products of the two vectors from earlier. If we rearrange the equation a little bit, then quaternions can be illuminated as a transformation between two vectors:

Representing rotations with quaternions

Unfortunately for us, quaternions aren't 3D rotations; they rotate through 4-space. The quaternion from earlier is indeed a rotation from to , but it traverses through 4-dimensional space as it rotates. So actually, the image I provided earlier is not a faithful representation of how quaternions truly rotate. At this point one must give up their hopes of visualizing quaternions in their entirety (your head just might explode), as humans sadly do not possess 4-dimensional eyes to see with. But as we will find out soon enough, there are in fact ways to examine quaternions in 3 dimensions.

As I said, multiplication by a quaternion will usually will take a 3D vector into the realm of 4D space. Obviously this is not desirable. If we want to rotate in 3 dimensions, we have to use the following formula:

The reasoning behind this formula involves some hardcore abstract algebra which I'd love to talk about--alas, I think my dear readers would be terrified at the prospect. We can instead look at quaternions as rotors, or as double reflections.

Algebraically, the equation for reflecting a vector across another vector is this:

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

Normally quaternion multiplication gets us tangled in 4-dimensional space, but the above equation always lands back in 3D space. The astute reader will know that two reflections makes a rotation ā€“ so, combining two reflections, we arrive at the following equation:

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

One more thing. This equation doesnā€™t yet quite look how I want it to. Since reflection is its own inverse, swapping ā€˜aā€™ with its inverse doesnā€™t change anything:

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

The last step is not necessary, but it looks nicer and is equivalent anyhow. We say ā€˜qā€™ is a rotor.

Thereā€™s a catch to this approach. Rotors rotate by twice the angle between ā€˜aā€™ and ā€˜bā€™:

So, we arrive once again at the much-anticipated rotation formula:

Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

The great thing about this formula is that we can combine rotations by multiplying quaternions. It takes 27 multiplications and 18 additions to multiply two rotation matrices, but with quaternions it only takes 9 multiplications and 5 additions. This can be summarized by the following tradeoff: rotation matrices are faster at rotating vectors, but slow in composition; and quaternions are slow at rotating vectors, but very fast in composition.

To be continued...

More on quaternions & converting to axis-angle rotations will be here, sometime later.

I know that this is a complicated subject and that not everything may make sense. Iā€™m afraid that this will be the case for some amount of timeā€“Iā€™ve presented a lot of content here. It will take awhile to absorb all of the information.
However if there is anything I can do to help you better understand, i.e. some fuzzy details I left out, please let me know in the replies. Iā€™d be happy to answer any questions you might have

40 Likes

I like this tutorial because it goes through with the max, but I donā€™t think it really follows with the implications of the topic. I expected to come here and see someone make a breakthrough explanation of how to visually think of a quaternion in laymanā€™s visuals. Yet I still didnā€™t see that :shocked:

Yes, we all are always liking to know that they can be proven mathematically, but unless we can visualize their usefulness, I feel like half the internet can provide us with this information.

Iā€™m not completely bashing your post. Iā€™ve read through it. You definitely take the time to talk with the reason, and not at the reader. However, I think we need a simple, one shot, at visualizing how quaternions rotate.

The best image Iā€™ve ever seen that just made the concept of quaternion rotation ā€œclickā€ to me is this one:

The read circle next to the Y axis shows that typical rotation happen in a ā€œtwoā€ dimensions way (circular around an axis) but quaternions ā€œspiralā€ in three dimensions (one being the imaginary plane). Where the green and blue waves are the individual components of the resulting spiral.

5 Likes

[quote] how[/b] quaternions rotate.

The best image Iā€™ve ever seen that just made the concept of quaternion rotation ā€œclickā€ to me is this one:

The read circle next to the Y axis shows that typical rotation happen in a ā€œtwoā€ dimensions way (circular around an axis) but quaternions ā€œspiralā€ in three dimensions (one being the imaginary plane). Where the green and blue waves are the individual components of the resulting spiral. [/quote]

Thank you for the input MrNicNac. I do think that my tutorial is a little bit technical presently, and that it needs to be toned down a little bit. However, care must be taken when explaining how quaternions rotateā€“the image you provided is intuitive, but it doesnā€™t quite capture how quaternions operate.

Quaternions rotate in four dimensions. It is not straightforward to explain how this is, but multiplication of a quaternion always rotates in two independent planes at once. That is part of the reason why the product qxq^-1 is used to rotate in 3 dimensions, and a consequence is that rotations via this formula have an angle which is twice greater than expected. Rotors are a neat visualization of this, but truthfully I used them only to hide away the actual mathematical machinery behind quaternions, which takes some rather scary math to explain.

I spent a lot of time building up specifically to explain why the rotation formula differs from mere multiplication. Perhaps it would benefit to trim some of the math away, but I feel rather ambivalent about itā€“in doing so, the reasoning behind the 3D rotation formula would be cut out.

Of course, not mathematically; but if you do a simple single-axis rotation test in ROBLOX with a part, you will notice it will rotate around the spiral exactly as shown in that image. The learning curve of quaternions is deafened on pure mathā€¦

Of course, not mathematically; but if you do a simple single-axis rotation test in ROBLOX with a part, you will notice it will rotate around the spiral exactly as shown in that image. The learning curve of quaternions is deafened on pure mathā€¦[/quote]
Then I will revise my premise: it doesnā€™t at all capture how quaternions operate. One can tween between any two given orientations via rotation about a fixed axis. That is not something unique to quaternions; it is a natural property of three dimensional rotations. If one wishes to interpolate between two given rotations in such a manner, there are Slerp algorithms which avoid quaternions altogether.
Frankly, the use of quaternions chiefly for Slerp is an unwieldy practice perpetuated by a lack of understanding on the programmerā€™s part. Itā€™s like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I suppose that that image highlights the most immediate difference between Euler angles and other parameterizations (e.g. quaternions), that is, interpolation via Euler angles in general is not geodesic. I assumed that my audience would have known this already, along with the problem of gimbal lock. Quaternions are notably esoteric among the ROBLOX developer community, and their unique advantages are relevant to only a handful of developers.

Oh hey, this is wrong:

Didnā€™t notice that the first time.

[quote] Oh hey, this is wrong:

Didnā€™t notice that the first time. [/quote]
Ah, my bad, I was thinking of the conjugate product conj(z)*w.
It actually wasnā€™t there the first timeā€“I made some notable additions last night.

Corrected the formatting of the original post. (fun fact - the previous reply was 463 days ago)

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to make edits to my post, but I canā€™t find the button. Is editing disabled after a certain period of time?

Yeah, after 2 months (unless they changed the settings to something custom)

1 Like

I never actually considered this guide to be finished. Iā€™m flattered that ROBLOX put it on public display, but Iā€™d like to scale back some of the language and maths involved. In particular, the tidbit of abstract algebra was originally contained in a spoilerā€¦ its inclusion was meant as a tongue-in-cheek gesture. And the stuff about calculus with imaginary numbers was spoilered as well, as an additional portion for advanced readers.

Plus, the formatting is still broken ā€“ the inline LaTeX expressions are pretty wonky.

Cannot grant edit permissions, can only make edits that they request. @suremark should PM me with the exact edits he wants to the OP.

1 Like

Maybe you should take the old post and make a new one, they could replace the old one.

1 Like

Eh, when Lilly reformatted it, the post was converted into HTML. I had to fix the HTML to clean up the post. So Iā€™d have to rewrite the whole thing, basically, if I wanted to make a new version.

2 Likes