Texture Generator [Beta]

5 is very low – as a power user, I am willing to pay for a more generous amount of daily generations, otherwise there is realistically no way to reliably incorporate this into any workflows.

6 Likes

Will we be able to buy extra credits for more generations in the future?

2 Likes

I would also like for it to be possible to retrieve the generated texture image. This would be very helpful to cleanup any mistakes on a photo editing software.

3 Likes

We definitely plan to increase our quota in the future! Once we’re sure we can handle request volume and capacity, we will increase the quota so you can texture to your heart’s desire :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hey @Nariox! In your saved textures list, you can hit the 3 dot menu and then click “Export”. This will allow you to export the mesh and the corresponding texture to your device, after which you can edit the texture image in a photo editing software!
We definitely want you to be able to touch up textures manually, so let us know how we can make that easier for you.

8 Likes

Honestly pretty impressive, it can target specific parts of the mesh, for example, I used a free model mesh and was able to give it wooden and marble grips, calls on RBLX I guess.

8 Likes

I was pretty skeptical of AI texturing prior to seeing the results from this, but now i am entirely convinced. The current iteration is unusable for hero assets imo, but I can absolutely see this being an integral part of the texturing workflow in a few years. Imagine being able to create a simple template texture for a building where u indicate the locations of windows, doors, railings, drains, or any other features, then simply type in a prompt for what sort of style or detailing you want, and it finishes the texture for you. Texture artists already let substance painter procedurally do whatever can be procedurally done, rust/scratches/mud and so on. This is just an incredible improvement on that same idea. That said, much more excited for this become a feature in a tool like substance than for it to be directly in Roblox.

2 Likes

Amazing!!! I was so stoked for this at RDC. This will be huge for speeding up content creation.

7 Likes

In response to both of you, the reason the initial preview is cleaner is because it’s not being reprojected onto the mesh. The preview is just an image generated matching the rough shape of your asset from one angle, the final product (presumably) is a composite of multiple of those generated images from different angles. Meaning three things: one, the final product will be lower resolution because it’s having to fit multiple perspective projections on just one 1080x1080 image texture. two, the final product will be more distorted because you wont be viewing it from the one angle that it works perfectly. And thirdly there will be seams where the different projections meet.

5 Likes

These are great suggestions, and we’ll definitely incorporate them into our thinking! Re: in-world previews, tt’s difficult to view the previews in the viewport before clicking “Save and Apply”, since they are image generations that don’t necessarily translate to 3D space. However, totally hear you – we want to find ways to allow users to evaluate previews in 3D space, since that’s the most accurate way to evaluate if a texture works or not.

2 Likes

Thanks for this feedback! We’re looking to raise quotas very soon, but this is great signal for us to figure out how creators want to be able to use our features.

2 Likes

Know what I did wrong?
Looked normal in the preview.

6 Likes

Do you mind sharing the obj(s) and a prompt?

1 Like

I think the 25 preview is worse than the 5. I ran out of previews before I got one I could use as a Save.

3 Likes

This is huge! So great to see Roblox make investments in this area as it will unlock allot of opportunities for a wider audience of creators.

My friend and I actually released a very similar AI texturing tool that you can checkout here:

It doesn’t have any quota limits :slight_smile:

[edit] example comparison between our tool (left) and Roblox (right) for prompt “A futuristic mask with black and yellow highlights, phtorealistic style”:

4 Likes

Not bad for a start, what’s crazy is that it’s not a single mesh! (14 different mesh parts)

13 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet, so this might be an option, but I was wondering, what is the size of the textures imported? Is there a way to specify? I would think having unique textures per meshes, could really use up memory on the client.

I read you can export it and of course modify it in a paint program, but what is the default for the import?

3 Likes

Can’t you run a lower capacity model locally on the user’s machine?

2 Likes

The textures are generated as 1024x1024 textures. We understand the memory implications, and are looking to add ways for creators to customize the resolution of generated textures, so stay tuned!

3 Likes

Not sure if you guys said this and I tried searching for this. Just outta curiousity, will this work for a meshpart that has no laid-out UV map. And will a new UV map be applied along with a new MeshID after textures are generated?

2 Likes