2D Particle System

I got bored and decided to create a 2D particle system. The math isn’t 100% accurate (in fact, I doubt its more than 5% accurate), but it does look sorta cool. I know this isn’t a first, but I still felt like posting. Oh, and did I mention that its uncopylocked? :wink: (Excuse my horrible button code, I didn’t feel like optimizing it.)

Try it out here.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Any feedback?

1 Like

This is really awesome! Not sure I would ever have any use for it in my games, but great to see something this cool is out there!

So YOU’RE the one who made this.

“The math isn’t 100% accurate (in fact, I doubt its more than 5% accurate), but it does look sorta cool”

If there’s anything I’ve learned from ROBLOX: As long as it LOOKS right, it’s fine. I mean a game is essentially a mock-real-life environment, so as long as things fit within the fake world, it will look “real.”

For instance, I like to make a lot of planes on ROBLOX, but I use hardly any (basically none) real aeronautical math.

[quote] “The math isn’t 100% accurate (in fact, I doubt its more than 5% accurate), but it does look sorta cool”

If there’s anything I’ve learned from ROBLOX: As long as it LOOKS right, it’s fine. I mean a game is essentially a mock-real-life environment, so as long as things fit within the fake world, it will look “real.”

For instance, I like to make a lot of planes on ROBLOX, but I use hardly any (basically none) real aeronautical math. [/quote]

My throwing knives are rocket-propelled. :swag:

Not the original one… but yeah, I made this one :DDD

:open_mouth:

WHAT

Amazing; makes me want to say:

Ravioli, ravioli, give me the formuoli.

That Gifset you used reminds me of the Buggers in Ender’s Game. :imagine:

Looks pretty great. This could be used for overlays in games that rely heavily on particles/effects - might even decrease lag vs. using ROBLOX’s 3D particles?

[quote] That Gifset you used reminds me of the Buggers in Ender’s Game. :imagine:

Looks pretty great. This could be used for overlays in games that rely heavily on particles/effects - might even decrease lag vs. using ROBLOX’s 3D particles? [/quote]

Does ROBLOX even have 3D particles yet? I haven’t been on for a while (or maybe I just never discovered them).

Anyways, I definitely do have plans for creating an intro or two with this particle system. If you check out the code, it should be easy enough to do so. Just modify the gravity code to assign certain particles to certain gravity sources (multiple gravity sources are already semi-supported) and have them form letters/symbols/etc… I’ll try to add a “particle text” API for this sometime soon.

I recently adapted your particle system to work as a background in my 2048 game.

(Press p for options)

Sounds pretty nifty… I’ll check it out when I get back from school :DDD

Edit: It looks awesome, I’m glad you could find a use for them!

Sorry for the bump, but I added some cool new stuff for anybody interested. Particles now change color according to their position on the screen, and you can generate them in a circle! (Like how the “circle” gravity source works)

Check out this:

and

Haha, thanks Igniited.

The math could be the newtons law:

inertia = inertia + (v.Position - c.Position).unit * (1/(v.Position - c.Position).magnitude)

Amazing particle system. Thank you for making it open-source too :slight_smile:

I’ve also made that 2 months ago, in a different style…

[quote] http://www.roblox.com/Vacuum-Simulation-place?id=143957199

I’ve also made that 2 months ago, in a different style… [/quote]

I’ll have to give that a try the next time I get on the computer… it looks pretty fancy.

Edit: Tried it out, that looks gorgeous!

My friend gave up once he saw this one :open_mouth:

[quote] http://www.roblox.com/Vacuum-Simulation-place?id=143957199

I’ve also made that 2 months ago, in a different style… [/quote]

I’ll have to give that a try the next time I get on the computer… it looks pretty fancy.

Edit: Tried it out, that looks gorgeous![/quote]

Take a look again, I made it like yours.