2D Powder and Fluid Simulation Sandbox Game!

Hey all. So recently I got bored, and I was starting to get into the old pixel-based games, and I used to play a lot of these powder games at school or in my spare time. So what did I do? I spent about 5 days working on my own roblox version of a powder game!

The results are pretty damn outstanding for a roblox game!

The pixel display and overall engine of this thing was made with my performant canvas module that allows me to create high-resolution pixel-based games with ease!

As far as future plans go for this project, I would like to optimise the heck out of the pixel simulation and even possibly implement multi-threading or parallel lua to this to optimise this to the max. I might even double the resolution of the canvas to 200x200 at some point.

I would love to hear thoughts and opinions on this as I don’t think I have ever seen one of these types of games in roblox before.

Thank you and enjoy!

37 Likes

This is the coolest thing I’ve seen all day! I’ve been messing around with this for the last ten minutes.
I think It’d be cool if you added a push tool which pushes away all liquids or gas around it.
Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Glad to see that you enjoy this!
Currently there are no forces being taken into account, so there is no velocity or even momentum, it is as simple as move down one pixel every frame.
so for now, no push tool. All though if you want, i can add a drag tool which lets you pick up groups of powders or liquids!

2 Likes

That’d be neat!

I’m not too sure in depth how your system works, but maybe the logic could be like this:

When gravity is updating, check if player has push tool clicked, check if particle is within push tool range, find place in the opposite direction of the center of push tool area, decide if the place is open (no object in the way), and then move there, then also add the gravity.

2 Likes

very fun! it is very close to sandspiel.io, maybe you can take some inspirations from it too

2 Likes

This is genuinely astounding. An almost identical remake of the original powder toy.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I have heard of that website. I might end up getting a few ideas from there. I also actually got most of my inspiration for this game from Powder Game on the dan-ball website

1 Like

I remember this game when I play this in phone on some App Store games.

2 Likes

I have done some major optimisations on the pixel simulation and now this runs MUCH better than it did before. I have also added a few small things too, such as a cursor for the brush!

1 Like

Very optimized and at the same time addicting, nice.

2 Likes

I sat in this game for at least 2 hours, fabulous game! Definitely needs more players.

2 Likes

UPDATE:

I have just finished adding a bunch of new features to the game. This update contains:

• A save and load feature
  • A better mixing feature for powders in liquids (such as water and sand)
  • A new wall material (which is indestructible)
  • A rework of the fuse (acts a lot better now and emits sparks)
  • Changes to explosions so it wont blow up certain materials (such as metal or walls)

Enjoy the update!

3 Likes

reminds me of the powder toy, pretty cool

1 Like

I couldn’t join your game. Is it private?

No. It isn’t. Was there a message at the play button on the game page?

Let me try again, I will screenshot the message of it pops up.

Wait are you trying to join on mobile? Cause currently this game is only available for PC.

I do plan to add mobile pretty soon support though.

1 Like

UPDATE:

I have just finished implementing mobile support and some new features. This update contains:

• Mobile and tablet support
  • More elements: Seed, Plant, Nuke and Cell-X
  • Sorting of the elements list

Enjoy the update!

@Slymbiote here you go!

2 Likes

This is actually a super cool game! Nice job. it was really well made.

1 Like