Welcome to the Aug-Oct 2023 recap for the 3D Importer! As always, we are excited to share with you about what we’re working on to improve your 3D asset workflows. We’ll highlight some new features since our last post, bug fixes, and other news. Let’s dive into it!
If you use the Avatar Previewer plugin as part of the UGC Heads and Bodies beta feature, you can now open the plugin automatically after importing an R15 rig. The Avatar Previewer helps check your rig for UGC compatibility and shows more Avatar-specific information. In order to do this, just toggle on the “Validate UGC Body” setting under the Rig General panel of the import settings.
Please note: in order to use this feature, you must also have “Insert In Workspace” toggled on as well.
We’ve tweaked the lighting in the preview window to better show the details of textures and meshes. Previously, details were especially hard to see non-textured models. Here are before and after screenshots for comparison.
We welcome any more feedback on how the previewer looks and works!
With the release of glTF, we were still missing one key feature: dynamic heads!
We can happily report that we’ve remedied this deficiency, and you can now import any kind of funky glTF faces you so desire.
Dynamic heads in glTF work identically with their FBX counterparts. Just make sure if you’re exporting from Blender that you check the Custom Properties option when you export your glTF!
- Animations now scale with rig changes, so the scale factor should now be respected
- Fixed glTF issue where wrong UV coordinates would be used for textures
- Corrected Hip Height scaling for animations for R15s
- glTF now respects mesh pivots defined by the 3rd-party application
- Fixed issue with extra bones not following animation in FBX dynamic heads
- Fixed a bug where renaming the workspace camera caused the importer to error
- Skinned rigs now scale with settings changes
- Fixed bug where glTF attachments had incorrect parents
This has been a busy couple of months for the importer, but we’re not slowing down! Here’s a quick look into the next few projects and features being worked on.
- @OriginalSleepyhead is working on allowing upload to groups directly from the 3D importer.
- @iridiumegg is working on expanding the ability to preset settings to include custom presets and the ability to set a preset as your personal default
- @iridiumegg is also working on allowing you to select multiple FBX import files and import them at the same time.
- @tasavix is working on performance improvements. A common complaint is that just changing the name of your assets takes a while. We’re hoping to fix this!
- @tasavix is also working on a public import API that lets you make import plugins powered by the same systems our 3D Importer uses! We hope this allows you to create highly customized, powerful workflows.
Asset import crew, over and out!
Note: there will not be an update for the Nov-Dec months due to the holiday season, but feel free to keep messaging us your questions and comments!