3D Importer - Custom Presets

Mainly I think it’d be cool if trying to upload 3d files through the asset manager would cause it to automatically bring up the 3d importer, as while the 3d importer is a much better way of importing 3d assets, I usually upload files using the asset manager’s “upload” button.

(Though on a note completely unrelated to the 3d importer I think it’d be cool if it was possible to delete things from the “recent” tab of the asset manager, as I often have to reupload an asset once or twice and this means I have to close the recents tab and search for it manually as the recents tab lacks a delete option on listed assets.)

9 Likes

I was testing this one out because it sounded like temporary files for meshes were supported with this, but I guess not…
It still creates the id, but does not appear within the user’s profile. Is that mesh id just floating around the abyss?

7 Likes

Cool update, but when we select “Upload to Roblox”, even with our inventory disabled, it still shows under our “Creations” tab in our profile. When will you actually fix this issue? It’s been a thing for years now.

7 Likes

those animations on mac…

Anyways, great feature! However, will the textures save too?

8 Likes

This is something we’re looking into. Could you describe a workflow where you would want to always use the same files for all texture nodes that are present?

8 Likes

Can you clarify what you mean by “inventory disabled”? I’m not sure I understand what that means

7 Likes

Meshes need to be assets to render in Roblox across studio sessions, these assets are created and linked to your account. However, our UIs don’t typically show raw Mesh assets. What you see in AssetManager/Toolbox are MeshPart assets

6 Likes

I think he means “who can see my inventory” is set to no one.

8 Likes

@NotRapidV

Oh, I understand, I really have no idea how the creations tab works, I would suggest filing a bug report about the inventory visibility issue.

The import team doesn’t manage any website feature

7 Likes

No problem. Thank you for responding quick! Hope to see it fixed by that team sometime in the future!

8 Likes

This is Really a nice feature so I don’t forget to anchor stuff I put in like I usually do. Very Nice!

7 Likes

My issue with that is if you want to import some type of light but you only want to Lightbulbs to work then you have to import them as different Meshes and not all as one

6 Likes

cool feature, will not be using :fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

YES! This will save me roughly 5 seconds each time, meaning I save a minute each day to get another coffee! Jokes aside, really useful and will lots of time when long term.

7 Likes

can u also add an option for situations like this where u can DELETE, you’re made assets, like:
1 - deleting a game
2- deleting Anims
3 - deleting meshes, models
this would help making unnecessarily long inventory (as u can uncheck upload to Roblox, and still have the mesh, without adding it to inventory, I’m assuming this is also possible for deleted items, so they still exist)

4 Likes

The asset importer still ends up failing to import without giving clear reasons as to why it failed quite a lot, are there plans to improve the success rates?

4 Likes

We know that dealing with errors on upload is one of the most frustrating parts of using the importer and we have plans to improve messaging and automatic retries. These plans are still in the works. As for improving the success rate, the best way for us to be able to debug what’s going on is by filing a bug report with the issue you’re encountering.

6 Likes

Only advantage I see that Asset Manager has over 3d Importer is that I can upload multiple things at the same time. As far as I’m aware, I can only upload one fbx at a time and have to manually go through each one.

Once I can select multiple files, 3d importer will be better in pretty much every way.

2 Likes

We are actively working on this, keep an eye out for a beta of multiple files in 3D importer later this year

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.