3D Importer [Full Release]

I have recently been working on a new rig with skinning and I prefer to convert my skinned rigs to mixed S15+/- for ease of use. I’ve found that the new importer is not able to import these kinds of rigs properly.

My rig I’m trying to import has an R15 bone structure with added bones for things such as hair, glasses and toes.

The below image shows 2 different imports of the same rig.

• The first rig is the intended result from importing using the old avatar importer, imported as R15. The rig has all the skinning data baked into the meshes and uses only Motor6d’s.
  • The second rig is imported using the new importer and set to R15. This imports exactly like the first rig, however the positions of the meshes that are not a part of the R15 structure are positioned as though the HumanoidRootPart is the origin.

I’m unsure if this is a bug with the new importer, or if there’s a new way of going about creating these types of rigs.

first, love the model! second, I have had luck treating hair and gear as accessories. No motor6D needed. As soon as the accessory is in place, it follows the bone it is skinned to.

You might need to load a custom rig though, if those bones are missing.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I’m not sure if I explained my problem well but my rig imports as intended when using the old avatar importer. However, when using the new importer, all non R15 MeshParts are positioned as if the HumanoidRootPart is the origin position.

The HRP is the same position as the root bone of a rig, which is the also set by the Humanoid HipHeight. Basically, those parts are being set to (0,0,0). This can happen if you were using parenting as the sole source for positioning(?) every part needs to have an armature modifier in blender. It’s been a while since I’ve had this error, so I maybe misremembering this issue.

Are you using a skeleton at all? Are the extra parts suppose to follow one of the R15 parts?

You are right though, the new importer does treat the model differently. If your models work better on the old importer, you might stick to that.

Well I got a few words about this new 3D Importer feature. In my opinion it is a very good tool for developers but it has its flaws. Sometimes when I import multiple meshes the size during importing messes up. It turns into a very giant mesh, while I did not change any scale limits. The other issue that I noticed sometimes textures on meshes get a bit pulled apart (they turn messy), so I had to fix it with UV mapping in Blender as it was a mesh from Blender.

In my opinion this is a very good tool for users and developers. I only have these small problems but I think those are fixable.

Each individual mesh has its own bone. The bone structure in blender is set up as required for Motor6D skinned rigs with each mesh’s name being the same as its corresponding bone with _Geo at the end.

This is the short term solution yes, though eventually it won’t be an option since its being deprecated.

1 Like

It feels like bones are being lost in the import. I have only seen that happen to bones that are not used in the mesh (IK bones, and controls). If you see the bones in roblox, you should be able to get the goggles and hair to remember their place.

No bones are being lost as I can animate the Motor6Ds and skinning data is baked into the meshes.

They seem to remember their position its just that their positions in the imported version are likely calculated in respect to the origin position, which is seen as the HumanoidRootPart. My guess is that the HumanoidRootPart is positioned before the non R15 meshes which causes them to be positioned like that.

I’m assuming this because if I import the rig as custom, all meshes of the rig are positioned properly, however the RootPart is positioned at the origin.

1 Like

I believe we might have a fix coming for this bug very soon. Don’t know the exact date because I didn;t work on the fix myself, but I will reply when we enable the fix. Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

@99Weeks @JoyfulFlowerMary I hear you.

First off, as far as not polluting your inventories with assets you don’t want, this will improve over the next few months. We are currently reviewing and reworking all of the importer settings and we should have a much better set of settings that let you have much more control and understanding around what kind of assets the importer will generate and add to your inventory.

Now for render meshes, I wonder, does it actually matter if the render mesh is local or stored on the cloud? AFAIK render meshes don’t pollute your inventory like MeshPart or Model assets do (since they aren’t surfaced anywhere). How does the storage location of the data affect your prototyping experience?

Let’s say the importer let you configure the following options:

• Don’t add a model to my inventory
  • Don’t add mesh parts to my inventory

All it would do is create the render mesh and the textures. Would your experience be different than if the mesh it created was local?

One massive benefit of having the render meshes on Roblox’s storage is that, after they pass moderation, they now work in team create, and you can collaboratively evaluate their appropriateness.

Note that we should not worry about storage concerns, in the grand scheme of Roblox operations we much prefer supporting collaborative creation over the (relatively) small cost of asset data storage.

4 Likes

@ellieflopper The bug where the hair is floating above should be fixed. Let me know if you’re still seeing the issue

1 Like

just tested it and its importing properly now, thank you!

Hey, you fixed the issue ? and when you import animation with this, the hair is correct ?
I m making a r15 rig with a skinned mesh sword, and i m having problems with the sword

Hello, I’m having an issue. I created a sword attached to the upper torso. In the 3D importer, it appears correctly in the animation, but when I import it into the animator editor, it is incorrect.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.