3D Importer [Full Release]

Hi! @HaloArbiter_101 I have a question that I want to ask. Since you guys had done the full release of 3d importer. When does the 3d importer gonna have more polygon triangles to 3 million polygon that we can import?

Absolute godsend for modelers and animators! Very excited to see the improvements this will make to my workflow.

1 Like

Chinese version of studio using ‘Import 3d’ to import materials with pbr textures will pop up “could not upload asset name may have been rejected by moderation” error prevents to continue importing, no matter what name is changed can not import materials.

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting this, we will look into it! Does it also happen if there are no materials in the file?

1 Like

Hey, we just enabled a feature that implements retries for a wide variety of network errors. This should fully eliminate this issue for sporadic failed requests.

Hey @Anaminus, @OKevinO and @devils_aquamarine, in the latest Studio release we’ve added the “Add Model to Inventory” option in the Import Settings. Toggling this off will disable uploading the model and should address your use case! Documentation at create.roblox.com/docs will also be updated to show this option. Please let us know if you have more feedback!

3 Likes

We currently can’t support meshes greater than 20k polygons as mentioned above, and unfortunately it may be a while before we can push that limit higher. However you have 2 options! The importer will simplify any mesh above this count automatically. If the result isn’t satisfactory, I recommend dividing up the complex mesh into several meshes, and importing all of those as a model. There’s no total limit on polygons for the model, so you can have 3 million polygons spread among several hundred meshes.

1 Like

The error only occurs when uploading a material with a pbr texture, even if the image name is 1, 2, 3, 4. Pure meshes or meshes with only one base color material can be imported successfully😐

1 Like

I am a Korean developer
The same problem is happening to me

1 Like

So awesome! Thanks for the update.

This bug has not been fixed :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: I am so hard to sleep at night

It seems that the 3D Importer has an issue with resizing imported fbx models containing bones. These two are the exact same fbx file, one imported using the old Avatar Importer plugin (resizing works as expected), while the other was imported using the new 3D Importer (doesn’t work properely, even scaling the Size values of the model breaks it)

3D Importer:

If I’m doing something wrong or if there’s a workaround I’d gladly hear it as I can’t seem to find a fix for this.

5 Likes

Chinese version of studio using ‘Import 3d’ to import materials with pbr textures will pop up “could not upload asset name may have been rejected by moderation” error prevents to continue importing, no matter what name is changed can not import materials. The error only occurs when uploading a material with a pbr texture, even if the image name is 1, 2, 3, 4. Pure meshes or meshes with only one base color material can be imported successfully😐

When you say Chinese version, do you mean setting the language of Studio to Chinese via File > Studio Settings.. > Language?

It’s not just a Chinese language/version incident, I ran across this error in a larger import. One of the many images ran into name moderation and Roblox kicked the entire import. Like the other poster said, removing the images fixed the problem.

Probably a better outcome would be for Roblox to remove(or rename) the offending file name. All the images end up in moderation queue for content anyway. :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to import the meshes into studio
without uploading them to the site as a meshpart or rendermesh?

For example: Convert the OBJ or FBX into a .mesh file, dump it into the content folder,
and grab the mesh’s location with ‘rbxasset://’ and place into a meshpart’s MeshID?

I know it can be done since I did it with ‘previewMesh.mesh’
inside of the ‘rbxasset://models/AssetImporter/’ folder

1 Like

This is very strange, I thought we did not use original names for images on upload, I will look into this.

What is the use-case for this?

IMO not uploading a MeshPart and not uploading a render mesh are two different things, let’s focus on render mesh; how would this help you?

The use-case would be for me to use a mesh I created and test it inside the Roblox studio environment without committing to permanently uploading it into the database when I don’t even know if the current mesh is gonna be the final product, thus wasting storage space for a garbage RenderMesh.

(Example: I imported my blender tutorial doughnut twice to see how the importer works.
one with the mesh added to inventory, and one that wasn’t, Both still generated a Seperate active RenderMesh. And I don’t think you can archive or delete RenderMeshes themselves,
Especially when there is no mesh item linked to it for you to archive instead.)

I know people have been asking for something similar in this post. Either nobody else notices this or I’m probably one of the few people that cares about this specific thing.

2 Likes

In general, even I would like it if there were official ways to temporarily import and test out assets without uploading them. I use the Clothing Previewer plugin to import textures for my meshes, which I do many times before committing to a final version, which I then upload to Roblox.

It would be so useful if the same could also be done with meshes, @itsFrank17. If I imported a mesh into Roblox Studio then saw a rendering error, at that point, the mesh has already been uploaded to my account. Even if I archive it to hide it from the list, it’s not as handy as being able to locally test the mesh first.

Importing meshes locally would also be useful for importing test meshes to see how Roblox’s engine renders them without cluttering an account or group.

1 Like