3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

Did you enable load character layered clothing in starter player like Crossvallia did?

4 Likes

i mean think of it what you will, the meshed clothing does work on r15 stuff so honestly im happy about that at the very least

3 Likes

Let’s be honest, I’d go for it - but let’s not forget I don’t have a proper skeleton and it’d take a while to make those.

WireMesh is not my biggest priority at the moment, but I saw people try to work with my rig.

5 Likes

This looks cool! I see lots of new things coming out of this!

But I have one big question, will it impact perfomance issue in a noticable way because this feature can be used by lots of developpers which can stop some with lower devices (especially mobile). I really wish this won’t affect perfomance.

2 Likes

Yes.
It works fine in studio, My screenshots where in the game client.

2 Likes

Layered clothing tech depends on the underlying foundational technology of skinned meshparts. Since skinned meshparts isn’t currently supported on R6, Layered clothing also will not be supported on R6 at this time.

6 Likes

The WrapTarget is not specific to Layered Clothing. As a developer, you can create a WrapTarget on any MeshPart and have other MeshParts that have a WrapLayer that you would want to wrap around the “target” meshpart. Note that the constraint is that the WrapTarget and WrapLayer should use cage mesh with the same topology and UVs

6 Likes

I am delighted to hear this incredible news! :wink:

4 Likes

UGC creators are already getting started on creating 3D layered clothing items. So, yes - 3D layered clothing will be just like any other accessory type, we expect the UGC community to be developing the majority of the 3D layered clothing items on the catalog.

5 Likes

Cage Mesh tech will work on any MeshPart based rig. This means R15 blocky and R15 Rthro can both have a cage mesh and the layered clothing will work as expected on either of these rigs. R6 is not supported at this time as some of the underlying technologies such as Skinned MeshParts is not supported on R6.

7 Likes

This feature is currently in Studio Beta, which means it works only in Studio currently - not in the Player Client. Very soon (within the next few weeks) we will be enabling this feature on all Player Clients as well at which point, your published game will work with layered clothing on the Client.

6 Likes

Our studio plans to only support R6 characters with customization due to preferential reasons; would it be less performance-intensive in terms of memory usage to use custom 3D clothing solutions, such as simply welding meshes to the limbs, than using 3D layered clothing?
This may come off as a bit of a stretch at first, but we plan on supporting up to 200+ player servers, and as such optimization in these aspects is key.

3 Likes

I tried to make a police vest or something, What methods do you recommend for making the OuterCage and apply proper weights? It seems the methods I took didn’t exactly work as intended.

For the OuterCage, I basically just reversed the usage of the Shirkwrap modifier and I didn’t do anything with the weight maps although I probably should have

edit

Don’t mind me, just committing unholy Roblox sins

24 Likes

Sorry if I’m not paying attention, but I can’t see any issues with the police vest? could you highlight the area(s) with issues?
On a footnote, probably changing the police vest’s color would be great (at least, when showing the issue), as it blends in with the character’s clothing haha.

2 Likes

Pleasantly surprised how well it integrates onto the less andromorphically proportioned body styles.

Was really worried those might get left in the dust from the previous cage mesh demo models - but nah, seems like things are handling much better!

One small area of concern which I’m not sure how you’d exactly solve is the stretched textures looking a bit odd.

The character on the left looks like the shirt is about to tear off them, whereas the right keeps stuff roughly in proportion due to being more realistically scaled. With the upcoming custom materials, would it be possible to possibly integrate them into surface appearance? That way you could do repeating patterns a bit better.

That small critique aside, this is looking great! Excited to use it once it goes live!

13 Likes

I totally agree that it definitely looks so much better than it looks before, and yeah, hopefully we have some sort of fix/work-around to the textures! It just really looks so good, though I will say, it looks much better on the skinnier r15 bodies.

3 Likes

Could you be more specific on what you were trying to do that resulted in the “gaps” appearing on the body? Even better, if you could give us a place file where we can reproduce this issue?

5 Likes

Very cool ROBLOX! Can’t wait to test it out!

5 Likes

oooh okay wow. Is this going to be for a rthro thing? or any body type ;-;

3 Likes

It will be available for all body types except for R6

3 Likes