3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

I am delighted to hear this incredible news! :wink:

4 Likes

UGC creators are already getting started on creating 3D layered clothing items. So, yes - 3D layered clothing will be just like any other accessory type, we expect the UGC community to be developing the majority of the 3D layered clothing items on the catalog.

5 Likes

Cage Mesh tech will work on any MeshPart based rig. This means R15 blocky and R15 Rthro can both have a cage mesh and the layered clothing will work as expected on either of these rigs. R6 is not supported at this time as some of the underlying technologies such as Skinned MeshParts is not supported on R6.

7 Likes

This feature is currently in Studio Beta, which means it works only in Studio currently - not in the Player Client. Very soon (within the next few weeks) we will be enabling this feature on all Player Clients as well at which point, your published game will work with layered clothing on the Client.

6 Likes

Our studio plans to only support R6 characters with customization due to preferential reasons; would it be less performance-intensive in terms of memory usage to use custom 3D clothing solutions, such as simply welding meshes to the limbs, than using 3D layered clothing?
This may come off as a bit of a stretch at first, but we plan on supporting up to 200+ player servers, and as such optimization in these aspects is key.

3 Likes

I tried to make a police vest or something, What methods do you recommend for making the OuterCage and apply proper weights? It seems the methods I took didn’t exactly work as intended.

For the OuterCage, I basically just reversed the usage of the Shirkwrap modifier and I didn’t do anything with the weight maps although I probably should have

edit

Don’t mind me, just committing unholy Roblox sins

24 Likes

Sorry if I’m not paying attention, but I can’t see any issues with the police vest? could you highlight the area(s) with issues?
On a footnote, probably changing the police vest’s color would be great (at least, when showing the issue), as it blends in with the character’s clothing haha.

2 Likes

Pleasantly surprised how well it integrates onto the less andromorphically proportioned body styles.

Was really worried those might get left in the dust from the previous cage mesh demo models - but nah, seems like things are handling much better!

One small area of concern which I’m not sure how you’d exactly solve is the stretched textures looking a bit odd.

The character on the left looks like the shirt is about to tear off them, whereas the right keeps stuff roughly in proportion due to being more realistically scaled. With the upcoming custom materials, would it be possible to possibly integrate them into surface appearance? That way you could do repeating patterns a bit better.

That small critique aside, this is looking great! Excited to use it once it goes live!

13 Likes

I totally agree that it definitely looks so much better than it looks before, and yeah, hopefully we have some sort of fix/work-around to the textures! It just really looks so good, though I will say, it looks much better on the skinnier r15 bodies.

3 Likes

Could you be more specific on what you were trying to do that resulted in the “gaps” appearing on the body? Even better, if you could give us a place file where we can reproduce this issue?

5 Likes

Very cool ROBLOX! Can’t wait to test it out!

5 Likes

oooh okay wow. Is this going to be for a rthro thing? or any body type ;-;

3 Likes

It will be available for all body types except for R6

3 Likes

will this be a catalog item thing? could we buy them in the catalog or is this strictly for games?

3 Likes

I’m going to be honest:

I do not see much use for this outside of games going for realistic rigs, the only use of this outside of custom-made rigs for games is trolls in cafe games.

The only things I can think of that this would be actually useful for outside of realistic rthro games are toolbelts or vests on r6/r15 avatars.

Hey, maybe you’ll surprise me.

6 Likes

Very excited to participate and be part of the creation team for layered clothing someday, Inshallah :hearts:

5 Likes

Probably early 2022 or mid december. It’s already working somewhat with some things so probably even could be late november.

2 Likes

i actually like this feature a lot, although it looks pretty distorted and wonky, minor clipping issues too, though i understand it is in the works and im very excited for this to be implemented into the avatar shop, thanks roblox

1 Like

omg this is sick i love it gonna test them out good work

3 Likes

This isn’t cursed. Layered clothing is a new technology that everyone should appreciate. Please roblox spent a lot of years to do this since Rthro released to Roblox. If you’re gonna call it trash because it’s “cursed”, you might as well just stop hoping for roblox to get good if you’re just gonna keep being negative.

11 Likes