3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

Hello developers,

We are excited to announce that 3D Layered Clothing technology is now available!

Layered clothes are specially modeled 3D assets that any avatar can wear with any combination of other layered accessories. Layered clothing naturally layers and stretches over an avatar body and other layered clothing items without clipping or breaking.

1 group shot

You design Layered Clothing in Maya or Blender, import them into Roblox Studio and apply it to an avatar body using WrapLayer and WrapTarget. These two new instances drive the technology behind Layered Clothing.

This post contains details on the structure of Layered Clothing and how to enable, create and add Layered Clothing in your own experience.

Experience Note: Layered clothes will not be available on the Avatar Shop Catalog or the Avatar Editor at this time. Similarly, accessories and clothes obtained or equipped in layered clothing experiences will not persist outside of that experience during this stage of release.

Roblox discourages developers from engaging in monetization related to layered clothing assets within experiences at this time.

Experiences with Layered Clothing will generally be more performance intensive. Please report any performance related bugs along with any specifications on devices and hardware in the forum post below.

Layered Clothing Structure

Layered clothing are 3D accessories that connect to the body parts of an avatar using attachments.

Layered clothing fits and forms over avatars and accessories because of additional geometry that you create during the modelling process. These invisible inner and outer surfaces, or the Inner Cage and Outer Cage, act similarly to a collision box and ensure that one clothing item doesn’t clip through another in 3D space.

Layered Clothing Asset Requirements describes specific details and requirements for modelling Layered clothes in Blender or Maya.

Setting Inner and Outer Cages in Studio

If the 3D asset is properly modelled, the asset will be imported into Studio as a MeshPart with one of the following instances that define the cages:

• WrapTarget defines the first outer surface that accessories can layer on. In the case of layered clothing, WrapTargets almost always refer to an avatar’s Outer Cage. The Outer Cage is set by the CageMeshID.

• WrapLayer defines the Inner and Outer Cage of the parented accessory so the accessory knows how to sit on top of an existing surface, as well as provide an outer surface for additional layers above it. The Inner Cage is set by the ReferenceMeshID.

Creating Layered Clothing

Model your layered clothing in Blender and Maya and export as a .fbx. A layered clothing asset must implement the following requirements:

• The asset must contain an inner mesh cage and an outer mesh cage.
  • Cage layers within an asset must have the same UV maps.
  • The asset must be weighted and parented to the correct bone or armature.

For details on prepping a 3D asset for use in layered clothing, refer to Layered Accessory Asset Requirements.

Sample 3D Assets and Project Files

Reference files are available and include the following:

• Clothing_Editor_Baseplate.rbxl - A space with over 100 layered clothing accessories to explore and test
  • Various accessories (.fbx) - Studio-ready 3D accessory models. (See below)

Expand the table below for accessory details.

View Accessories
Accessory Accessory Name Accessory ID Accessory Type
Tshirt_ArmyPrint120x120 Tshirt_ArmyPrint_001 7192457690 Tshirt
TShirt_TyeDye120x120 TShirt_TyeDye_001 6984732580 TShirt
Tshirt_LongSleeve_Raglan120x120 TShirt_LongSleeve_Raglan_001 7178740556 Shirt
Shirt_LongSleeve_Flannel120x120 Shirt_LongSleeve_Flannel_001 7178744611 Shirt
Jacket_Hoodie120x120 Jacket_Hoodie_001 6984765766 Jacket
Jacket_PufferCoat120x120 Jacket_PufferCoat_001 7192543873 Jacket
Pants_CargoPants120x120 Pants_CargoPants_001 6984740059 Pants
Pants_Female_Jeans120x120 Pants_Female_Jeans_001 7192668209 Pants
Shorts_Cargo120x120 Shorts_Cargo_001 7192683061 Pants
Shorts_Female_Jeans120x120 Shorts_Female_Jeans_001 7192686536 Shorts
Skirt_Tennis120x120 Skirt_Tennis_001 7192686536 DressSkirt
Shoes_WorkBoots120x120 Shoes_WorkBoots_001 7193170137/7193171232 LeftShoe/RightShoe
Shoes_Skate120x120 Shoes_Skate_001 7192850635/7192852086 LeftShoe/RightShoe
Male_Hair_003120x120 Male_Hair_003 7193405096 Hair
Male_Hair004120x120 Male_Hair_004 7193419595 Hair
Hair_Female_004120x120 Hair_Female_004 7193448988 Hair
Hair_Female120x120 Hair_Female_005 7193451306 Hair

Enabling Layered Clothing in Experiences

First step is to enable the Studio Beta Feature. In the File menu, select Beta Features and enable 3D Layered Clothing.

0 beta enable

Layered clothing requires enabling LoadCharacterLayeredClothing to allow avatars to equip 3D accessories. To enable layered clothing rendering in your experience:

1. In the Explorer, select StarterPlayer and navigate to the Character section in the Properties window.

Set LoadCharacterLayeredClothing property to Enabled.

2 loadchar

Importing Layered Clothing Creations

Import the .fbx into Studio using the Avatar Importer plugin. Make sure that the .fbx and the associated texture .pngs are in the same directory. To import a layered clothing file:

1. In the Plugins tab, select Avatar Importer

2. Select Custom

3 avatar type

3. Select your .fbx file. The asset populates in the workspace as a MeshPart named FBXImportGeneric.

4 meshpart

5 import

Optional: Add PBR textures to your Asset

Many of the provided asset files include additional PBR textures for realistic lighting and surface effects. Add these texture files to to a MeshPart using SurfaceAppearance:

1. Upload the associated .PNG files using the Asset Manager.

Note: Importing assets requires the experience to be published first.

2. Select the Tshirt_001 MeshPart inside the FBXImportGeneric model and add a SurfaceAppearance object.

3. Set the appearance maps in SurfaceAppearance with the corresponding texture IDs created. Use the filename suffixes to appropriately map the textures:

• ColorMap: “_DIF”
    • MetalnessMap: “_MET”
    • NormalMap: “_NOR”
    • RoughnessMap: “_RGH”

PBR2

Setting the MeshPart as an Accessory

Organize the MeshPart as an Accessory instance to be equipped by an avatar:

1. Add an Accessory instance in the Workspace with the name of your layered clothing accessory “Tshirt_001”.

2. Drag and drop the Tshirt_001 MeshPart into the Accessory instance to parent the MeshPart.

3. Rename the “Tshirt_001” MeshPart to “Handle” to follow the standard Accessory naming convention.

4. Verify that the “Handle” MeshPart has the WrapLayer Instance.

6 handle

5. Add an Attachment within your Handle.

6. Rename the Attachment “BodyFrontAttachment” to ensure that it gets attached to the corresponding body part. See attachment points for a list of valid attachment names.

7 attachment

Apply Layered Clothing to an Avatar

There are two primary ways to equip accessories in this developer release:

In a future release, you will be able to upload layered clothes assets to generate your own Asset IDs.

Equipping Without an Asset ID

This method should be used for equipping a layered clothing accessory if an Asset ID is not yet available. To equip your accessory in-game:

1. Drag and drop the Tshirt_001 Accessory in ServerStorage.

2. In ServerScriptStorage, add a Script with the following:

local myAccessoryAsset = "Tshirt_001" --replace Tshirt_001 with the name of your accessory

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	player.CharacterAppearanceLoaded:Connect(function(character)
		while nil == character.Parent do
			wait()
		end
		local humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
		if humanoid then
			humanoid:AddAccessory(game.ServerStorage:WaitForChild(myAccessoryAsset))
		end
	end)
end)

9b equip

Equipping With an Asset ID

HumanoidDescription describes all the assets equipped by a Humanoid character. The AccessoryBlob is a table of all accessories equipped by the Humanoid and can be edited directly in the HumanoidDescription Properties panel or programmatically through HumanoidDescription.SetAccessories().

An Asset ID can be obtained by uploading the asset or using an existing Catalog Asset ID. Until uploading layered clothing is available, use an existing Asset ID in the code samples or the example assets.

Equipping via Properties Panel

To edit the Accessory Blob in the Properties Panel and equip layered clothing:

1. Select the Workspace and Add “HumanoidDescription”.

10 humanoid

In Properties, set the “Accessory Blob” property with the following format:

[{"AssetId": 6984765766, "Order":1, "AccessoryType":"Jacket", "Puffiness":0.5}]

In the case of multiple accessories, use the following format:

[{"Order":1, "AccessoryType":"Jacket", "Puffiness":0.5, "AssetId":6984765766}, 
{"Order":2, "AccessoryType":"Sweater", "Puffiness":0.7, "AssetId":6984771334}]

Note: Puffiness is an optional key here that affects the volume of the clothing item.

Now that a HumanoidDescription has been created, you can use the following code sample in a Script in the Workspace to apply the HumanoidDescription to all players when they are spawned:

player.CharacterAppearanceLoaded:Connect(function(character)
        while nil == character.Parent do
            wait()
        end
        local humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
        if humanoid then
            humanoid:ApplyDescription(game.Workspace.HumanoidDescription)
        end
    end)
end)

Since HumanoidDescription only contains data for a single accessory, the player spawns as a default blocky character with one accessory equipped.

Equipping Programmatically

To equip layered clothing via through HumanoidDescription.SetAccessories():

1. In ServerScriptService, create a Script.

2. Copy the sample below and select Play.

-- Prevent the experience from autoloading the player before we apply accessories
game.Players.CharacterAutoLoads = false

-- This table sets the order of layered clothing items. Higher numbers will layer on top of lower numbers.
local DefaultLayeredClothingOrder = {
	[Enum.AccessoryType.LeftShoe] = 3,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.RightShoe] = 3,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.Pants] = 4,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.Shorts] = 5,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.DressSkirt] = 6,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.TShirt] = 7,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.Shirt] = 8,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.Sweater] = 9,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.Jacket] = 10,
	[Enum.AccessoryType.Hair] = 11,
}

-- Create an entry for the new layered clothing accessory (an orange jacket):
local lcAccessoryData = {}
lcAccessoryData["AccessoryType"] = Enum.AccessoryType.Jacket
lcAccessoryData["AssetId"] = 6984765766 -- Orange jacket
lcAccessoryData["Order"] = DefaultLayeredClothingOrder[Enum.AccessoryType.Jacket]

-- SetAccessories expects a table of accessory entries:
local accessories = {}
accessories[1] = lcAccessoryData

-- Load the player with the new accessories
	-- Get the HumanoidDescription from the UserId and clone
	local currentHumanoidDescription = game.Players:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(player.UserId)
	local newHumanoidDescription = currentHumanoidDescription:Clone()

-- Apply the new description to the humanoid:
	newHumanoidDescription:SetAccessories(accessories, --[[includeRigidAccessories = ]] false)

player:LoadCharacterWithHumanoidDescription(newHumanoidDescription)
end)

Note: HumanoidDescription also supports rigid accessories. Use HumanoidDescription.GetAccessories(true) and HumanoidDescription.SetAccessories(Accessory Table, true) parameters to include rigid accessories.

HumanoidDescription can also be applied to NPCs with a HumanoidDescription using Players:CreateHumanoidModelFromDescription().

[Update] November 11th, 2021 | Publishing Enabled

[Update] February 24, 2022 | Layered Clothing Enabled by Default

523 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

This new feature sounds marvellous, and will be great for further expression through clothing!

However, I believe this may be an issue in terms of optimisation. Will people be able to disable
/enable this feature?

Thanks,

vintament

70 Likes

This is awesome I can’t wait to see what we are able to do with layered, love this update!

35 Likes

It appears the HSR clipping system still arbitrarily chops off important body geometry. In this example here, you can see that my avatar’s tail is chopped off :

I previously filed a bug report about this :

EDIT : This issue seems to only affect older clothing uploaded by Roblox. Outdated HSR data that’s attached to the clothing or something?

67 Likes

Yoo it’s finally out! Time to test it out and create my first layered clothing. Let’s see how this goes :joy:
Also, will there be a way to turn it off? It may cause performance issues on lower end computers or phones.

22 Likes

Waiting on all the parka jackets to drop so my avatar can get dripped out.

29 Likes

This came super quick. It’s beyond amazing how well this works.

However it looks like some attachments have moved when I turn on this beta. Not a fan of that. My signature eyeballs clip into my face now. I hope there’s a head that fixes this.
RobloxStudioBeta_2021-10-20_17-06-02

This skirt is also rather indecent with this bundle's legs. Maybe want to take another look at it.

33 Likes

I just feel like this is gonna be something used by most trolls on café games

46 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to see developers use this

18 Likes

Quick question: Does this work with R6 or is it an R15 feature only?

16 Likes

I like the idea of clothing actually attaching to the body, but I really think it looks uncanny on the 1.0 model. I’m hoping layered clothing will fit better on it in the future.

14 Likes

will we be able to buy/use layered clothing in any game? if so, how do we get some? is it just exclusive to being a thing only developers can add to their games?

sorry for the double post I accidentally replied to something else

13 Likes

It is a beta of Studio, so if you want to deactivate or activate it you must visit the File menu > Beta Features.
To turn it off, uncheck the 3D Layered Clothing box.

14 Likes

Strangest update yet.

Roblox’s blocky/R6 design has been attractive to people of all ages since 2006; it’s being wrecked, my friends and I agree that if this is a popular feature, we’re leaving the community.

Posts above show that the majority likes this update. What’s going to happen to clothing designers if this update blows up and R6/R15 is left behind? Is there going to be a system thought over where meshes could be uploaded, or sticking with Roblox as a source?

Opinions are opinions and nothing more.

42 Likes

As announced before and implied in the original post, layered clothing will be in the catalog in the future.

15 Likes

I assume it will probably work with R6 since its still a commonly used character type still and some games don’t support R15, unless there will be a toggle that turns off layered clothing and it’s automatically turned off with R6?

11 Likes

ok cool but is there a date or anything we can go off of?

9 Likes

Nothing is confirmed yet I don’t think.

8 Likes

Whoa! So much sooner than I thought! I can’t wait until I can customize my character with fancy suits and things.

I’m gonna see if we can use this for our “hack week” game jam we’re working on right now.

43 Likes