3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

Here’s to hope this update is compatible for R6

As someone who’s avatar and game is built around R6, this feature is amazing
Personally I think it would be interesting to try and make a hazmat suit with this

13 Likes

I LITERALLY JUST TURNED ON THE FFLAG FOR THE BETA IN STUDIO. YOU MADLADS.

Is this a late birthday gift from Roblox?

9 Likes

Expanding on this response, will distance have an impact on clothing detail?

5 Likes

If it works how I think it does, as an extension to accessories. Yes.

3 Likes

you do realize you can use this on R6 packages, right? This technology allows us to wrap clothing or just meshes in general on ANYTHING, and it can even be made under your own blocky style if you so please

8 Likes

iirc, this is intended to be compatible with all avatar types upon release. Nothing major will happen to clothing designers because 2D clothing will still be around

7 Likes

I like how there’s documentation for layered clothing, but why is there still not a documentation page on the developer hub for general skinned meshes in the first place?

11 Likes

Great update! Once this feature gets released into the avatar shop, will we be able as an option to enable/disable this feature as an in-game preference? Depending on how well optimized it is, I fear it might create a certain amount of lag.

9 Likes

Aight imma wait for the YT tutorial

9 Likes

By “Available” is this feature live in-game or is it still just studio?

In-game

Studio

Also appears the neck area is a bit strange

Edit

I do got to admit though, even on packages that already have clothing this does really good at overriding those default clothing pieces.

16 Likes

When can we expect the plugin demoed at RDC? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Everyone, take note:

THIS is what Roblox meant and wanted when they first announced Rthro all those years ago. This was always the goal. Now we’re finally here.

You can take any body part at any scale with any animation and apply any 3D accessory/3D clothing to it and it. Just. Works. (AND looks amazing!)

And with facial animation just over the horizon, it’s only going to get even better.

Grow up. Better tech is better, actually. Shocker, right? Regardless, want R6? Don’t animate the extra joints. Want R6? Don’t use layered clothing. Want R6? Don’t use deformable meshes. It’s really that simple. Stop trying to hold the platform back because you don’t want to throw away your rose-tinted glasses.

59 Likes

Oh boy, this will change Roblox forever since there is a lot of Rthro package on catalog. This one is definitely going to be the best thing ever. I’m not sure if 3D Layered clothing works on blocky body avatar.

11 Likes

Does this support R6? Anyways, good update! Been waiting for this one for a long time.

10 Likes

R6 is not apart of the default options. But I think you can use the custom one to do R6

6 Likes

No. R6 rigs do not and will almost definitely never support any of the new avatar features, including:

• Extra joints
  • Deformable meshes
  • Layered clothing
  • Dynamic facial animation

There is no reason to still be using R6. If you like the classic aesthetic, that’s fine. You should still be using R15 though, as it is extremely easy to emulate the R6 aesthetic while using R15.

7 Likes

There should be almost no impact to “runtime” performance. Join time performance will be impacted because we can fetching more assets and there is more “composition” happening. Once the clothing item is deformed at the time of “wearing” an item, the performance should be on par with the current real-time performance of avatars. We are working on further reducing join time performance… so stay tuned.

Distance should’ve no effect on the clothing detail currently, since we do not create LOD for avatars at this time. We are working on avatar LoD that would eventually both improve performance and adjust fidelity based on distance. Stay tuned.

14 Likes

Yes. That’s correct. The in-game avatar editor is an early peek into what can be expected in the platform Avatar Editor/Catalog for all players to equip.

9 Likes

That’s possible. The HSR (HIdden Surface Removal) technology has been improved since the last time we released the cage mesh deformer beta and some older assets may need to be updated for their HSR data.

8 Likes

Pls, no.

All I’m hearing here is that you’re afraid of change because you don’t want to take the time to learn something new.

Stop fear mongering.

15 Likes