3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

Here’s my avatar in 3D Layered Clothing!

I have a question though, how do I go about making my Layered Clothing Avatar, a StarterCharacter, so I could walk around in it. I tried re-naming it to “StarterCharacter” and putting it into StarterPlayer, I can’t move at all.

Any help is appriciated, thanks!

5 Likes

you’re just dismissing it as “fear of change” without thinking about it. there’s good change and then there’s bad change. i think this update is very interesting, and could be used for cool things, but having as a wide-spread avatar option is just another spit on the grave of the original roblox aesthetic.

again, i think it’s cool and i don’t think it’s bad, it just seems oddly out of place. thankfully, the more i look at it on regular roblox avatars (not Rthro ones), the nicer it seems to be

3 Likes

Found another interesting thing - in some cases, geometry is improperly hidden when multiple layers of clothing are applied, but not when a single layer is applied. E.g. shows with just pants or just shirts, but hides when both are worn:

7 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

This is not a hard concept??? Why are you having such difficulty grasping it!? This is an R15 rig running an R6 animation. JUST. DON’T. ANIMATE. THE. EXTRA. JOINTS.

This is nonsense.

There are DOZENS upon DOZENS of scripts FREE FOR YOU TO USE that will convert ANY R6 animation to an R15 animation. In fact, I’ll save you the trouble of finding them and include the one by @TheNexusAvenger right here!

Converter.lua (9.0 KB)

I’ll even do you one better and include a .rbxm with all the default R6 animations already converted to R15 as KeyframeSequences! All you need to do is upload them.

DummyR15.rbxm (40.8 KB)

So, as I’ve said PLENTY of times. There is no reason to continue using R6 other than sheer laziness.

8 Likes

My experience with this has gone well so far and I’m excited for this feature to be displayed across the catalog and being able to use this in games will be fun, fits very well with R15. I’m glad it didn’t come out that weird looking way they displayed it in RDC when it was still in the works. Heres a screenie I took; justminorclippingissues,cantwaitforthistocomeout!!!

2 Likes

Why would I export an R15 rig, which purposely looks worse with stiff animations, animate that, go through the trouble of having to deal with the hierarchy of the rig, when I could just do it with R6 rigs.

What?

3 Likes

It?? Looks?? The same??? Huh???

You… Can… Just… Animate an R6 rig. THEN you can take 10 seconds to run the script to convert it to an R15 animation and you’ll have access to avatar scaling, facial animation, mesh deformation, and layered clothing for free.

3 Likes

theres no point in arguing, i completely agree with you; theyre stubborn and once they realise change IS good, theyr gonna learn.

6 Likes

This will initially be released In-games for developer release then brought aboard to that Catalog for creators to make clothing similar to our current UGC.

I may be wrong but this is how I presume it will pan out, Although I am correct it will be on both the Catalog as well available for developer release just not sure which one is releasing first, for all we know it could drop at the same time?

I agree, I’m currently using R6 for my game and I want to shift over to R15 since I have a lot more movability with Animations as well gain a lot more out of these new updates.

4 Likes

I think this update is really cool! I just hope that they fix the clothes no-clipping on certain avatars, and how some clothes don’t fit on non-rthro characters. But apart from that, layered clothing is great.

Why do they need to use R15 tho. If they want to use R6 then let them dude. Roblox is about powering imagination. Shoving R15 down their throats is not powering imagination.

Stop trying to force people to use something they don’t want to.

6 Likes

then… ik this is a shocker? They cant use layered clothing or mesh deformation - So hear me out; use R6 all you want, but dont CRY about it not supporting new features. Thats why if you want new features, move over to R15. period.

5 Likes

You’ve fully ignored my post which is very annoying and only responded to one point, especially seeing how angrily you’ve responded. Please re read my whole post properly.
Please stop blatantly using the Texas sharpshooter fallacy here. Maintaining it civil would also be appreciated.

1 Like

As stated to Rocky, please also read my post above. It’s not just about the animations.

1 Like

Adding onto this, the argument of it being easier to script with by @XionKazdok is indeed valid, though niche. My game backtracks the animations of players in order to verify the likelihood of a player exploiting their hit box, which has a lot of Motor6D math. I am no math expert, and so it would very likely take me weeks just to configure it properly to support R15, as it took me a month to get it right for R6.

This is also not to mention the fact that as stated again, we plan on supporting 200+ Player servers. R15 has 2.5x the amount of limbs of R6, and as such would be WAY more expensive than R6 in any popular server. R6 isn’t just “for lazy people,” as you seem to heavily imply. Please stop being biased towards R15 and read my posts properly.

7 Likes

I’m not complaining at all about it not supporting new features. Im just saying you shouldn’t try and force them to use R15 when they don’t want to.

1 Like

It is fear of change, there’s nothing to think about, nobody is being forced to wear 3D clothing, if you want to wear 2D clothing you still can, this is fear mongering and it happens with every Roblox update.

I’ve been around since 2007, and I can assure you any character change was met with the same sort of OMG THINGS ARE CHANGING AND I DONT LIKE IT!!! response.

2 Likes

Why would you design your game around R6 in the first place? It’s deprecating and there’s no benefit to using R6 over R15.

My game backtracks the animations of players in order to verify the likelihood of a player exploiting their hit box

This doesn’t make any sense whatsoever, it sounds made up. Why would you ever determine a hitbox being exploited that way? Don’t confuse bad practices with things being harder

This is also not to mention the fact that as stated again, we plan on supporting 200+ Player servers. R15 has 2.5x the amount of limbs of R6, and as such would be WAY more expensive than R6 in any popular server.

Okay, now you’re really just scraping the bottom of the pan for anything to further solidify your argument. It’s not going to be WAY more expensive, you have absolutely no insight into the resource performance that this would require and are just making baseless assumptions without any data to back up your claims.

200+ Player servers have a lot more to worry about than the part count in R15 characters, such as networking, load balancing, humanoids are extremely inefficient as it is and you’re concerned about the part count?

So arguing hypothetical scenarios, the only bias I see here is you.

3 Likes

Don’t assume something just because it does not fit your argument. My module, ClientCast, is a client-based solution to hitboxes, which is industry practice - all AAA titles calculate hitboxes on client and verify on the server, but due to the fact that Roblox has forced-ordered packets, this makes verifying hits from the client harder. Thus, I backtrack the animation of the player by the amount of time it took them to send the hit data to the server, and verify the ray from there.

a 2.5x increase is indeed a substantial increase, though I can understand why you could see my use of capitalizing “way” as excessive.
I’m aware I am scraping the bottom of the pan here (even though I still believe for these to be very valid & important arguments) - my main issue lies with stylistic design as mentioned above. R15 simply does not support the same capabilities, and you can see why on my main argument against R15 here (the post you’re debating aren’t even my main arguments):

4 Likes