3D Layered Clothing is Now Available!

No, it is confirmed that it will not work on R6…

5 Likes

How did you enable this in studio but it not show any changes in live experience place?

3 Likes

At first, I thought this was pretty cool, but then I realised: if you can deform meshes live inside of a game, imagine what this could mean for avatar types! Think about it, instead of avatars being made of different parts that come together to make the body, it could be a singular, rigged up mesh that moves inside the game.

This new type of accessory could be a foretelling of potential things to come.

4 Likes

This feature isnt that, We’ve been able to deform parts live in game since I believe September of last year when the Skinned Deformation/Mesh update went live, I’ve used it in a few of my personal projects as well roblox has already added deformable rigs on a few of the Rthro Bundles.

3 Likes

Hey so I decided to make a pair of slides and I plopped it on the early model of this update as well a few of the more recent ones and I found that I might have messed up one of my models, I did have a slight issue with the weight maps and had to take a few sketchy moves to get it working but uh yeah…

Slides.fbx

The shoe that seems to be dysfunctional: Shoes_DefaultSlides_001_Left

edit

If we can get a video demonstration on the best ways to create the OuterCage as well the weightmaps since I did a complete different method of setting up my rig compared to Roblox Avatar method that’d be great :+1:

6 Likes

Sadly, R15 still has very noticeable seams that otherwise mess with the aesthetic a lot of games go for. Here is a very clear demonstration of the issue:

The R15 rig on the right has very noticeable seams at the hands, feet, & hips, which causes it to be unusable for games that want “smoother” characters. For stylistic choices I simply cannot choose to go with this, as it would most definitely look out of place - and this is especially so when we already have dozens of animations made for our R6 rigs; I, as the owner of our studio, am currently not generating any income, and as such being forced to switch to R15 would be a huge blow to whatever savings I’ve left.
Using deformable meshes (such as DoguR15) is not plausible because they take a toll on performance just from being in memory alone:

Using mesh deformation to imitate the R6 style is simply not plausible for an upcoming MMORPG title that plans on supporting 200+ player servers.

Roblox is attempting to cater to the R6 supporters by staying quiet about their removal of R6 from Roblox, which causes a lot of harm - Roblox, if you want to remove it, then be frank about it. This is causing a lot of economic harm in many studios, where we miss out on features that would optimize the workflows of many games.

R6 can look just as good, if not better, than R15 - and in this case, our studio would MUCH rather have R6; and I’m not trying to be biased for the sake of being biased here. It is a stylistic choice that we have discussed upon - where I asked our development team (& even the community) on whether we should switch from R6; to which the answer was “no.

12 Likes

Lets goooo! One of the best updates, I don’t see why twitter users hate this.
I mean it is twitter…

2 Likes

Uh No, R6 is much easier to animate I don’t see why I shouldn’t

2 Likes

Explain how animating 5 joints is easier than animating 5 joints.

1 Like

it looks a bit weird on the tiny korblox leg https://gyazo.com/5f927b96c2e36d86e4077da2098b4f4f

other then that its a good update

12 Likes

R15 has more joints though. Lol

2 Likes

R6 is definitely still in favour.

I can state multiple :

• Much less time consuming - R6 has only 6 joints : Head, Torso, LeftArm, RightArm, LeftLeg, RightLeg. Due to this, it is much less time consuming to animate. Not easier, just less time consuming.

• Better for certain types of animations - R6 is extremely good at animating “cartoony” animations, and a lot of the motion in them can feel more animated. This is likely due to the simplicity of the rig that can mold animations that are amazingly complex and beautiful.

• Easier to script with(?) - I am not sure, but I think it would be easier to script with R6, as it has a lower joint count than R15. I am not sure on this though, so I apologise if I am wrong.

R6 is not out of favour, and it won’t be anytime soon. Although I am quite content with the direction Roblox is going (except Rthro), it won’t erase older features from existence.

An example of this is modelling vs building. Modelling is called by some ignorant people to be the “better version of building”, and that it will replace building in Roblox. I don’t know about you, but I do not see the field of building falling out of favour anytime soon; in fact, I see it growing more and more.

R6 is still quite good, and this is coming from an animator of 4 years. R15 is amazing to animate with, and so is R6. Comparing them is pointless, as they are completely different from each other.

8 Likes

Ditto to this. They are not mutually exclusive, but they are also not the same. It is simply impossible to fully swap from R6 to R15, as mentioned by the reasons in my post above.

3 Likes
Should Layered Clothing be supported on R6?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

If you chose no, why not?

I think R6 should be supported for animating purposes, it’s easier to animate and less joints to animate. I also think it should be supported because it’d look really cool on R6 Avatars, and R15 isn’t for everyone. I really wanna try this out, but my avatar doesn’t look good in R15. I think it’d look better in R6.

3 Likes

An issue occurs in the animation styles of R6; since R6 has a lot fewer joints, animators usually detach the limbs from the torso when animating to provide for a better design - and since 3D clothing needs mesh-deformed rigs to work when moving the limbs away from the main torso, you would see very weird stretching.
To circumvent this issue, a solution would be to let 3D clothing for R6 characters not use mesh deformation and instead be “welded” onto each limb individually. Doing so would not only address the issue of Roblox engineers having to have R6 rigs support mesh deformation, but also the cloth-stretching issue mentioned above.

7 Likes

This would be a good addition to Roblox squid game(s)

I’m curious.
Have you guys ever included a topic that discusses moving clothes (mesh deformation) during your meetings?

I’m aware that the current system in place for animations & clothing don’t go well together if you allow players to animate clothing, but I wonder if this has ever been brought up internally, and what the results of that discussion would have been.

3 Likes

Here’s my avatar in 3D Layered Clothing!

I have a question though, how do I go about making my Layered Clothing Avatar, a StarterCharacter, so I could walk around in it. I tried re-naming it to “StarterCharacter” and putting it into StarterPlayer, I can’t move at all.

Any help is appriciated, thanks!

5 Likes

you’re just dismissing it as “fear of change” without thinking about it. there’s good change and then there’s bad change. i think this update is very interesting, and could be used for cool things, but having as a wide-spread avatar option is just another spit on the grave of the original roblox aesthetic.

again, i think it’s cool and i don’t think it’s bad, it just seems oddly out of place. thankfully, the more i look at it on regular roblox avatars (not Rthro ones), the nicer it seems to be

3 Likes

Found another interesting thing - in some cases, geometry is improperly hidden when multiple layers of clothing are applied, but not when a single layer is applied. E.g. shows with just pants or just shirts, but hides when both are worn:

7 Likes