9-Slice Editor: Studio Beta

It is cool! This will greatly simplify my work with images

17 Likes

I’ve always been frustrated with the slice properties in the Properties window - they just never behaved how I expected. This is a great addition - thank you!

17 Likes

Lovely! Maybe one day we’ll even get to edit the amount of slices there are, that would be cool!

9 Likes

Nice feature! I always have to upload custom separated borders and position them. Though it wasn’t granted that the pixels would fit correctly if scale was used to position the border’s parent frame.

6 Likes

A very welcome change! It was previously very cumbersome to edit, and as such this UX improvement is much appreciated.
This may be slightly off-topic, but are there plans on supporting 9-slice for features such as Beams, ParticleEmitters and other similar 3D textures?

PS: This also seems to be your first time being active on DevForum. Welcome!

5 Likes

This is fantastic, I’m super happy to see more property widgets showing up.

I tried to use this on a UI element I had stored in replicated storage as a component and got this message however. It would be great if this could load the asset so I don’t have to copy the UI into a screengui.
RobloxStudioBeta_2021-11-03_15-56-01

I also notice that the image gets interpolated really harshly if it’s small. I would prefer if it tried to upscale using nearest neighbor in integer steps (for consistent pixel size).

Really nice that the lines snap to the nearest pixel border though. Just need to be able to see the pixels lol.

11 Likes

This is awesome, now I no longer have to go find the image dimensions for something I want to scale with slice.

1 Like

Hi @PeZsmistic! Thanks for your feedback! If you set the ResampleMode of the ImageLabel/ImageButton to Enum.ResamplerMode.Pixelated, the 9-Slice Editor will show the pixelated image.

4 Likes

That’s handy, but I don’t want this element to be displayed with that mode ingame, I just want to be able to see it for the purpose of configuring the slice accurately. :slight_smile: I would have to set that, open the tool, and then unset it, which is a bit cumbersome. Would be nice if I could toggle this in the tool instead.

16 Likes

It would be VERY useful for Scrolling Frames and of course other types of GUIs

yes it would be really cool to see my game in 2 slice. i wonder what 100 slice would look like.

6 Likes

Really cool addition makes it super easy to understand and implement
Adding a toggle-able pixel grid would be useful and maybe a way to zoom in for larger images

17 Likes

Very useful feature, you can really do a lot of things with it now! :grin:

23 Likes

Wasn’t this a builtin or is it a Qt thing now?

This feature will make me use 9-slicing way more often now that it’s much easier to use!

Amazing work Roblox! I hope more useful updates like this get released in the future!

3 Likes

I look forward to using this in my future endeavors. Additionally, I would love to see in the future the ability to set how many slices we want an image to be put into (9 Slice - 45 Slice).

Thanks for the helpful article, I don’t see this too much anymore. :blue_heart:

Roblox … this is outstanding!!

Thanks for the feedback. No plans at this time but this is an interesting idea to consider.

5 Likes

For years all of my slices looked like this and I didn’t even realize lol.

This update is phenomenal. Editing 9 slice images will no longer have to be a guess and check process and this simplifies UI workflow greatly.

The only issue I have is the editor window doesn’t scale its contents when the window is resized, so it’s a bit hard to fine-tune images.

15 Likes

So simple, yet so helpful. I knew that this day would come, I’ve been waiting for it and here we are champs,

finally an update I can truly relate to.

2 Likes