A Beginner's Guide To Not Screwing Up Game Descriptions

So, what’s the problem?

Game Descriptions are easily the most forgotten, messed up or ignored part about a game, yet it can very useful to let people know what your game actually is quickly.

Let’s look at the good example: it easily explains what the game is about without 90 paragraphs of text, it keeps its description clean, simple by having only what you need, and that is:

• A general overview of what the game is about;
  • Current version or update log link

Everything else (ex. game controls or warnings) are kept in-game and are shown to the player when needed.

Let’s look at our first bad example: :

• Cluttered, “new story-based horror game” explains absolutely nothing about the game, it’s story or anything.
  • Warnings and controls waste more space.
  • Generally unclean
  • Beta is repeated multiple times in the game title and description
  • Tags???
  • 90 paragraphs of text

Unlike the good example, a player doesn’t know what the game is. right away. They would need to play the first 1-5 minutes of the game first to understand what the game is actually about.

Let’s see what the definition of a “description” is:

• a statement that tells you how something or someone looks, sounds, etc. or words that describe something or someone*

… which the bad example fails to understand completely. Controls, tags, warnings don’t picture a game.

Let’s look at another example:

It passes the first check, which is:

• gives a general overview of the game, letting a user picture what the game is gonna be or will look like

But fails to pass every other check, and fails to pass some new ones:

• Description is a total mess.
  • Having codes in description ruins the whole point of a “promo code” or “twitter code”
  • Emojis everywhere; making the description look like a bigger mess
  • Update log in description rather than on DevForum or anywhere else.
  • Tags ( not shown in screenshot)
  • 90 paragraphs of text

It suffers from the same problem that first example is suffering from. Which is:

• Cluttered description
  • 90 paragraphs of text

What am I supposed to do with my game’s description, then?

Don’t make it cluttered like the bad examples have it. Keep it simple and only put things really necessary or those that you can’t put in-game (ex. update log links)

Try to keep your descriptions clean and include a small explanation of your game. Don’t do the same things that big developers are doing. Try to do things your way, don’t be afraid to come up with something different, new.

End

Hopefully this tutorial will shine useful information into your head, if you have any feedback don’t hesitate to reach out to me on DevForum or Discord: marі#8440. I’m always open to feedback.

28 Likes

The tutorial is informative and well written but the fact that instead of writing constructive criticism you decided to just bash a game by calling it a “complete joke” simply voided any good opinion I had about this.

15 Likes

This is written in a very good way, but as already said, it’s kinda rude pointing out games that don’t have an amazing description.

By the way, a description that explains the game isn’t that much important for a game to get popular.
Look at Horrific Housing.

And Breaking Point.

4 Likes

This isn’t a tutorial on how to get your game more popular. This simply explains common mistakes with descriptions and how to improve your game’s description.

:disappointed:

I know that.

I meant that writing a description that says a bit about the game isn’t always needed. Some can be creative, etc.

That is a pretty cool tutorial, but idc on how i make my desc.

4 Likes

While this tutorial does go over things you should keep in mind while writing a description, it doesn’t go over the importance of a professional description. In fact, according to the three examples (adopt me, TDS, and pet simulator x), setting a good description does not matter.

The tutorial loosely claims (cmiiw) that having a good description increases popularity and the view of a game while these games are literally top games on the platform. The tutorial does not provide evidence that there is a correlation between a good description and how popular your game gets.

Another thing I want to go over is you should criticize the idea, not the person. For the description examples, it’s probably a good idea to remove the game names.

2 Likes

I never said that it increases popularity but alright? I only really mentioned that it makes it easier for a player to understand what your game is before playing it. That’s what descriptions are for.

I made this tutorial all because I wanted to shine a bit of light on the problem descriptions have, not tell someone how to increase their game’s popularity.

1 Like

The thing with story game descriptions is that you basically summarize all that is needed in the title. If you try to tell anything else about the game it could completely ruin the point of playing the game. To find the story.

Look at a typical itch.io horror game’s description:

You don’t have to spoil your whole game in the description to make it a good one. Just have a small backstory or explanation.

Agreed.

Breaking Point used to be really popular, but has less current players now for 2 reasons:

1. The game stopped update so it got boring eventually and was fully of exploiters
  2. People would rage-quit when they would get oofed in the Breaking Point mode.
3 Likes

Oh, never realized how much I could screw up a description before reading this. Thanks a lot, this was really helpful!