A better alternative to packages

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create anything that you need in multiple places within a single game (like code a tool you want to be used in each place, or an entire library of tools stored in ReplicatedStorage that an equipment system can clone to a player’s backpack) and have changes update everywhere. With packages, after you update them you have to go through each place it’s used in and publish it or the changes won’t take effect.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my game / my development experience by streamlining my development process and making multi-place games more viable, allowing me to focus on development of the game its self and not on how I’m going to avoid copying and pasting code over and over, rewriting code, or having to open, publish, and close a bunch of places every time I update a package.

My proposal on how to fix this, which you can ignore if you don’t care: Make something similar to what adds CameraScript and ControlScript to PlayerScripts when a player spawns in Roblox, but make it usable by devs.
It could be a separate place - we’ll call it ‘StarterEverything’ - within a game that allows you to use the hierarchy in the explorer as usual (ie put something in workspace) and then, when playing solo in another place within the same game or playing in the Roblox player on a published place in the same game, the contents of workspace in ‘StarterEverything’ will be cloned to the newly created server/instance of the published place and its workspace and the same could be done for everything else, such as StarterPack, ReplicatedStorage, ServerScriptService, etc.

3 Likes