A book about Lua

Lua and Luau are basically the same thing , though if you learn Luau it will be for Roblox scripting, while Lua is the base unmodified version of that used for coding outside of Roblox. I would Recommend you start with Luau.

3 Likes

This fact is somewhat true. However I advise starting with Luau even though they are similar LUA however has some major differences especially with it’s name placement. I advise starting with Luau it will be easier and less complicated especially for a beginner. Lua is a very nice language and is especially helpful towards new beginners. Out of all the languages I code in ( Java Python Lua C++) Lua has been the easiest to pick up

The book could be useful but I find it easier to watch YouTube videos and do step by step with the person. AlvinBlox Covert Code and TheDevKing are just a few of the amazing YouTubers that post Roblox content. However AlbinBlox is (in my opinion) the best for he has Scripting series that covers all the functionalities.

3 Likes

This is a great book if you want to Learn Lua.but i would also reccomend checking Luau | Roblox Creator Documentation

1 Like

There are plenty of Roblox Programming books for example there is one by Heath Haskins

2 Likes

I also recommend B Ricey as he explains things amazingly has great tutorials on rare topics such as the promise module and the Component Organization System

2 Likes

I love you in a very friendly way. (dont moderate me)

2 Likes

I posted on this topic a while ago but I’d like to make note that this is Lua which will hep a little. Roblox uses Luau which is a version of Lua

1 Like

Wow it’s been 4 months since i commented on this topic.

1 Like
4 Likes

Pretty good plugin if you don’t like books. Covers more of roblox aspect than What was intended for lua

2 Likes

Same. Time really does fly by. I love this topic.

I read a different book to learn coding.
https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Roblox-Coding-Book-Unofficial/dp/1507217889/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ULU69D42WGA9&keywords=Roblox+coding+book&qid=1678557005&sprefix=roblox+coding+bo%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-1

Although programming books are very useful, my suggestion is to use the book as a guide instead of learning programming from the book. You can take courses instead of books, try to develop projects, or examine and tinker with open source projects.

1 Like

I’m using a book right now. And to be honest it helped me on my first day reading. I got to fully know how variables, functions and how scope works. It gets really deep into teaching the Basics. If I want to get deeper I can just go to the DevHub, which is no problem at all to me.

I’d recommend a course actually! I’ve thought about doing something similar but a free course that everyone can access would be a lot better for everyone.

1 Like

Of course, the books are great for basic and certain operations. I didn’t say they don’t use it anyway, just to learn programming, the book alone will not be enough :slight_smile:

It has a combination of their own slight changes into lua itself which makes “Luau” instead of “Lua.”

Well, you can us sit but Roblox uses LuaU which is different, and also, if you don’t want to buy a book there’s free tutorials, the biggest free tutorial out there is here, the DevForum, if you learn by looking at code and dissecting it then this is the place where you’ll learn the most, if you like books though I never saw a book about LuaU but there surely is one, if you learn more easily trough videos then use YouTube

I learnt by looking through the code of others (@devSparkle’s Area-14) of course that was way too complicated for me to understand initially. So it took some time.

It’s best to self-learn so you can understand what everything does and figure it out on your own - but that’s what worked for me, it will vary from person to person.

As for the book, if you’re considering creating one I think that’s a great idea! But I think it would be more beneficial as an online course that you can perhaps download if people are concerned about offline usability.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.