A book about Lua

Do you guys think “Programming in Lua, Fourth Edition” by Roberto Ierusalimschy is good for beginners? I would really appreciate some help.

17 Likes

You don’t have to buy it, you can just read it online.

15 Likes

Actually online you can only read 68 pages out of 329. So I would buy the book.

2 Likes

I Have it online with 302 pages i think, i just want to know if its helpful for beginners

2 Likes

I’m also a beginner so yeh it would be good.

3 Likes

alright, thank you for the help bro

3 Likes

No Problem I love helping people😀.

3 Likes

Could be, but I feel like people overestimate how hard it is to get into scripting. I mean, personally I just watched youtube tutorials and it worked out fine.

(Also, fyi; roblox uses luau, not lua - a variation of lua)

8 Likes

So your saying Roblox has their own Lua Programming Language?

Yep. it is based off of Lua, but it has a few changes. You can find plenty of youtube tutorials for Luau (look up Roblox Programming tutorial or something)

3 Likes

Roblox Lua is a little more upgraded than normal lua it might be that the book wont cover some aspects of LuaU coding and game services.

4 Likes

So there aren’t any book about Luau? I heard some people say books are better than videos.

1 Like

The way people learn something is entirely based on them - some might find videos easier, some might find books, tutors, whatever else easier. I would recommend trying videos first though since it’s free (alvinblox or the devking have some good tutorials for example)

7 Likes

Alrighty, I’ll see for myself. Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

This book will help for learning lua in scripting but I personally just use YouTube for scripts and stuff.

2 Likes

ugh books when I see it my vision becomes blurry.

4 Likes

you should get glasses.

3 Likes

bruh. You should get common sense. cuz what I said was a joke.

1 Like

How was i supposed to detect it as a joke

3 Likes

And what do you guys recommend I start with? Lua or Luau?

2 Likes