A case for Downvotes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and necro-bump posts

Feature requests for the website go in #platform-feedback:website-features. Make sure you check which topic you’re replying to so you don’t accidentally respond to the wrong one.

I think we should re-visit this one.

We really should only put this in Scripting Support, Code Review, and Game Design Support, but it would be very useful for this based-on-true-events example:

Scripting Support

NeedsHelp753875: “For some reason my DataStore won’t save?”
HelpfulGuy48237: “First, wrap your SetAsync() in a pcall(), then print the second variable you assigned. This might give us some info.”
NotHelpful858937: “just use DataStore2 it’s so much better”

Code Review

NeedsHelp753875: “Hey guys so I just made my DataStore script, is there any bad practices in here?”
HelpfulGuy48237: "Looks great for the most part, but normally you should do:

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

rather than

local Players = game.Players

NotHelpful858937: “bruh use DS2 mg it saves so much time and it’s literally better”

Game Design Support

NeedsHelp753875: “So basically my problem is, what should I call a group that likes to use traditional scripting methods without help from others?”
HelpfulGuy48237: “How about ‘The Traditional Scripters of Roblox’?”
NotHelpful858937: “‘We hate DS2 and Profile Service?’ that sounds like something…”

While NotHelpful858937’s replies might be considered flaggable, in reality they aren’t. We need this for quality solutions.

2 Likes

Yeah, flagging for that is a bit over the top, but it would be nice to be able to respectfully and concisely say “this is a bit of a crap solution” without starting a drawn out argument or a flame war, through a rep/voting system, and it might drive people to think more carefully about their responses.

3 Likes

I don’t see the need for this. Good comments will get liked more than replies that are bad for that matter. Let’s say we have a case in #help-and-feedback:scripting-support, and there are two scripts in the thread.

One of them has 6 likes, the other one has 1, from this we can see that the one with 6 likes is preferable because more people like it.

Downvotes are often abused and groups can target certain individuals and can be misused on posts/replies, which can lead to abuse of the tool, which I don’t agree with at all.
I see no flaws in the current system, and if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

You can say the same for flags, likes, etc… Discourse provides moderators with the tools to see who is abusing what, and if users are being abusive with features, then they can be reprimanded. Simple as that.

There is a flaw. There is no way to prioritize better replies, at the moment the only way is through solutions since it will be embedded into the OP, but that is just 1. Implementing Q%A style plugin for the support categories would probably work best for this.

1 Like

There are likes and solutions, I don’t really see what is wrong with the current state of the DevForum. Why should downvotes be added in the first place? If you don’t like a certain post then don’t like it, or if it breaks the rules you can flag it.
Downvotes can discourage people from posting and likes are more positive than downvotes. A post will usually get more likes due to the quality of it, and because of this likes can show which post has the most appreciation.

You can’t flag something for being misinformation, and believe it is harsh for there to be punishment for being wrong. Now that is unwelcoming.

This is good – it means users that don’t know what they are talking about won’t post as they are the ones to receive more downvotes.

This is wrong in so many ways…in #help-and-feedback:scripting-support you can actually given an explanation that would benefit the OP, but get little to no likes, whereas someone spoonfeeding gets more likes + the solution.

3 Likes

That is a different situation, if you flag something, it breaks the rules and is totally the fault of the user who posted it in the first place. You are also given a reason why it was flagged in the first place.

Or they might want to improve their post quality to get more likes next time? That’s a valid option as well, and is a lot more positive.

Then how do downvotes fix this situation? How does this help your point? My entire point was that quality posts get more likes than bad posts.

Downvotes aren’t for reporting for breaking the rules…and a plugin could easily let users that downvote give a required reason why they downvoted.

why would you do it for likes lol, in a world like this not everything is positive, people need to be exposed to reality. if you got downvoted that much in the first place that is on you for trying to tackle a topic you don’t know the answer to

By discouraging users to spoonfeed. It won’t reflect well on them.

They don’t always, see above.

Stack Overflow is a great example of a Q%A site that has downvotes still, and overall the way it is structured is great. Roblox should take inspiration.

1 Like

Except flagging sends a message to the person and a staff member reviews it.

This isn’t the case though, on a lot of sites, this is true, and a lot of people upgrade their post quality for likes/upvotes.

Alright, I can see what you mean here, but I can’t see how this will help with other types of posts. It’s not as if downvotes will only be used for this.

So downvotes are the solution? Spoonfeeding is one issue I can see you have brought up. How will this help otherwise?

I can’t speak for all staff, but im pretty sure they usually just handle moderation, and a few other things. They may not necessarily have enough knowledge to know if someone is right. Downvotes can just message the user without staff intervention. And only staff would be able to see who downvoted.

A Q%A style system would only be useful in support categories lol.

It will help against low-effort posts in general. Which is a good thing.

Then this kind of messes up the DevForum as a whole, I’m not sure if I’m correct about this but I don’t think you can customize where likes/downvotes go.

Which high-effort posts are more liked than low-effort posts (most of the time). Low-effort posts most of the time can be flagged and removed.

I think downvotes are a TERRABLE idea it can crush someone’s reputation because of misinformation.

If someone is constantly giving bad information… shouldn’t people be fully warned by that before hiring them/being hired by them?

1 Like