A city-building game that I will not continue (open source)

The project began when I had little knowledge of Lua and continued to evolve as I improved my skills. Because of this, the documentation, construction, and complexity of it became unmanageable. Additionally, working on it alone posed a challenge.
Another problem I faced was creating artificial intelligence for the cars, mainly due to my limited knowledge in that area.

The game features an economy system, zoning, unique buildings, and other basic elements. The basic mechanics work as ‘expected,’ but it’s OBVIOUSLY riddled with bugs.

The main reason for discontinuation was the terrain system not functioning the way I wanted. I initially thought about using 3D mesh with bones, which would allow me to manipulate each ‘voxel’ of the mesh individually. It WORKED, but it would be extremely poorly optimized. So I went with the Roblox unions system, which ultimately didn’t please me.

THE VIDEO QUALITY IS VERY BAD!!
Video

It’s open for editing (if you can understand everything, lol) in any way you’d like. I’m Brazilian, so there will be many non-English words in the code, which might make it a bit challenging…

Heres is the link:

7 Likes

This is the best city builder I’ve seen on Roblox, sad to see it go.

2 Likes

This looks like a really cool game! :grinning:

2 Likes

No way! That game looks amazing! What kind of bugs are there?

1 Like

Apologies for the delayed response. There are several easily fixable bugs, but the main issues and limitations I attempted to address were:

1. A car with AI that could follow roads. I tried using Roblox’s Pathfinding, but it’s too limited, so I switched to raycasting. I made some progress with prototypes, but nothing substantial, and I eventually abandoned the system.
  2. The terrain in the game is my biggest challenge. As I mentioned, I tried manipulating it using 3D mesh bones, which allowed me to change its shape in real-time, and it worked perfectly. However, it would be extremely heavy and poorly optimized for the game. I then turned to Union Operations, which work to some extent, but terrain manipulation is limited to subtractions and unions. Furthermore, Roblox’s terrain system is extremely difficult to manipulate due to its voxels.

It’s important to note that the game’s primary focus has always been on construction rather than administration. That’s why I cared so much about these visual details and left complex management systems aside.

Thank you.

1 Like

Don’t make this open-source! People will steal your work and ideas!

I think you should continue this project, or at least make a newer, updated version of it with more features and bug fixes.

1 Like

I understand your point. I’m working on other projects now. With my increased knowledge, things tend to go better when they are started and finished correctly. As for open source, I don’t see it as stealing my ideas and work. People can test knowledge, learn, and use it as inspiration. I do plan to redo the project, and I already have an idea of how it will be.

Thank you.