A Color Previewer and additional methods to easily add color values into ROBLOX Scripts

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard and time-expensive to input specific colours into my script without having to use a reference like colouring a part then retreiving the values, or an online RGB/HSV colour combiner.

Here is an example of my issue.

local GUI -- LocalScript detects some random GUI.
local Frame=Instance.new("Frame",GUI)
Frame.BackgroundTransparency=0.5
Frame.BackgroundColor3=Color3.fromRGB(123,116,205) -- This is a random colour combination.

When you have an extraordinary combination like this, I would usually insert a part in workspace, input the values from Frame.BackgroundColor3, then figure out what color it actually is. This entire process may take up to a minute for me, especially if I forget the combination.

However, there is a method to make this much less time-expensive for me and many other people alike. When you have a Color3.new(), a Color3.fromRGB(), or anything similiar, you should be able to preview the color its going to produce, and also be able to insert colors from the color palette or from custom colors, similiar to how you insert colors to part instances in Properties. For example, if you were to make a Color3.new() section, you should have the option to use the color palette or a “Custom Colors” window to edit the values of the section.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please be as specific as possible.

This just wouldn’t benefit just me, but anyone that has to struggle using a part, getting a color from it, and insertting the result value onto your script. With this suggestion, however, all you have to do is make a new Color3.new() segment, and have the option to use the two methods (color palette and custom colors window). It would make finding the right combination of colours to put into your script so much easier, especially if you’re using anything to make a sequence of colors, like ColorSequence.

26 Likes

Support, VS Code supports this for some languages such as CSS, so it’d be nice for Roblox to do the same.

19 Likes

Support, I’m very often finding myself needing to use online color pickers when working with Color3 in scripts to find or preview colors. It’s also very time consuming converting the RGB values from an external color picker into a comma separated list because they’re usually in separate input boxes and my memory isn’t sharp enough to remember 9 digits.

1 Like

Sometimes, I type numbers and I swear I start to see colors.

But come to find out it was just my imagination. So yeah I support this as well.

1 Like

This day in age it feels like this should be standard in editors by now and it’s absolutely import to the productivity of the developer and designer.

1 Like

That’s pretty awesome, we can look into this.

7 Likes

If you’re looking for inspiration, VS Code also lets you do this:

ukx6THdWsd

7 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to find the perfect color for script-made GUIs and other things that use Color3s.
If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to choose a color directly from the script editor instead of googling RGB Color Picker every time I need a color(trust me, it’s painful).

Here’s an example of what this feature looks like in VS Code with CSS.
29198740-4ecbeeb6-7e79-11e7-9dc6-0d612b75cba0

1 Like