A community-ideas mega-thread

As a member of the DevForum, is it currently too hard to share an idea that you might not know how to code, develop, but want someone to take that idea and use it.

Basically there would be a megathread, somewhere, that any member can post to, and share ideas that they really wanted to become true, but that they don’t know how to make.

So, if someone asked for a module that does something, but the person who shared the idea doesn’t know how to code it, someone else could go and take that idea, make it for them, and share it as a community resource to them.

I think this is cool because developers can:

• Learn how to make assets
  • Share cool libraries that would not be a thing without such idea.

I would personally love something this, because I just wanna make something sometimes, and I don’t have an idea, I just wanna do something, and I wanna make something that is useful for someone.

Isn’t that what #help-and-feedback is for?

7 Likes

If it is, I didn’t know you could share ideas there.

Well, not the way you worded it, but

You could make an attempt yourself and if you get stuck you can use that category to get help.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know, but it doesn’t have really to do for what I’m asking here, this mega-thread would be just people sharing ideas around, and if someone wants to contribute to something, they could scroll on that mega-thread, and find stuff they might wanna make that someone might use.

Anyone could just reply there with a cool idea they have, and that’s it, if someone wants to use that idea, they have the permission.

I think you didn’t read the topic, you replied so quickly, like :grimacing:

Being a fast reader is not the same as not reading completely

Also couldn’t you just use the bunch of “what do you wish Roblox had?” megathreads in #development-discussion for ideas

1 Like

that was like 2 seconds incapaz i think ur a machine

The ones you’re talking about are more about actual features Roblox would have, the time I tried making one for community resources etc, I got a feedback for it, mostly it’s just, having an official one usually brings more attention to it, it’s easier to find stuff, people will actually share stuff around, and I think a lot of cool stuff can come out of that.

Maybe generally speaking, sure, but you definitely didn’t read it dude.

This reply makes no sense when he said he does not have an idea and wants to help somebody else accomplish something. Besides, even if you’re saying he could help others (not what you said) in #help-and-feedback, that category is specifically for people who have the intent to work on the problem on their own, not just “hey it’d be cool if someone made a block coding plugin but I can’t do UI.” If anything, the category I’d defer to here is #collaboration:recruitment, certainly not #help-and-feedback. I think this mindset reflects a bigger issue of spoonfeeding we see a lot on the forum.

Those are geared towards stuff for the engine, like PBR, not projects people can whip up in a few minutes. Besides, those topics get flagged (by you!), so it’s not exactly easy to check those topics. The only result I could find that’s actually helpful here is this topic, but it only has maybe three replies. I don’t agree that a megathread should be added, but it is nonetheless a fair suggestion if you actually read the topic instead of just replying instantly.

2 Likes

Except I did dude.

There may have been a little bit of misinterpretation on my end, but you can’t really blame me since english is not my first language, even if it does not show, but I do my best. As I understood the topic he wanted help with a project that would serve as a resource for developers, so my bad? I would have mentioned spoon feeding as an argument against this type of category though, but I didn’t.

Whether or not I flag them is not related, but even if I do that would seem valid since it’s feedback going to a black hole, since Roblox engineers do not read the category, and also there are different issues that are beyond the scope of this topic. Versus a topic asking the community what plugin or module or whatever that they would like to see. Also having a look at #resources:community-resources itself is a good idea. A good example of this is how in for example in the DataStore2 topic there is high demand for ordered data store support/non-player data support, one could make a fork of DataStore2 that addresses those demands. My messages are always open for anything else unrelated that you would like to discuss

Being completely honest I don’t feel like you should be recommending that people make megathreads that don’t invoke discussion. DD is bad enough.

I never recommended making them

Then I guess I don’t understand the point of bringing it up? Either way, doing that goes against category guidelines, so he shouldn’t be doing that.

1 Like

How is using the same as making? I said use, not make. It already exists, from the looks of it it is not taken down. It is at least better than engine feature requests

1 Like