A Display Name that is just the user's username without an underscore display as if it were the user's actual username

Long, long, long title.

You can see this happening with my current display name that I set just for testing(!), my username is Ty_Scripts, not TyScripts.

For sake of completeness, here’s a different screenshot:

This is a potentially HUGE issue for impersonation. If Ws_ly decided to make their display name Wsly and dress the same as the real Wsly, then Ws_ly would look just like the real Wsly at first glance. Users new to the forum or those who have not joined but are reading logged out might be misled into believing that Wsly just shut down Deathrun.

I first noticed when reading a collaboration topic at 7:00AM Labor Day 2021, but the issue’s probably older.

8 Likes

Can repro this.

Seems like it’s just you?

His username isn’t Programmer_bcrk, that has nothing to do with the bug.

My bug is this: see how your display name is next to your real username?

“TyScripts” with no underscore is my display name, but it doesn’t have my username next to it even though they are different. This only happens when the display name is the same as the real username, with the only difference being the display name has no underscore in it.

1 Like

I see what you mean now. I thought you meant that underscores weren’t appearing in display names.

1 Like

This may seem like a huge problem at first, because people could impersonate YouTubers and other highly regarded community members. However, because the DevForum is 13 and up, I doubt many people would fall for tricks like that. I agree that this should be fixed, but I don’t think it’s too big of a problem for now.