A few questions on player customization

So I have a few questions related to character customization.

What am I trying to achieve? I want to make a gui at the start of the game that prompts you what you want your character to be (girl, boy 1, boy 2) After you choose, that gui will never show again even when you rejoin.

Questions

1. How do I check if the player has joined before? Through a data store?
  2. Should I do a system like this? Do players not like being limited to a default characters until they can afford different characters?
  3. I am using rthro for the custom characters, so do I replace the mesh/texture of each limb, or do I change the appearance somehow?

I can answer the first two questions.

1. You would just have a bool value and set it to true once the player joins for their first time. And if it’s set to true when they join, that means they have played before, and you would not want to prompt the GUI. And you would want to save it with a datastore.

2. I think different characters are a big part of games, and a lot of games use what you are asking if people like. Let’s take arsenal for example. You have a simple character, but as you play more, you can get other characters. I think this system works really well with games, hence that’s why so many implement it.

2 Likes