A guide to everything depricated Roblox

In this tutorial I will be talking about depricated Roblox objects/modules/functions and what to replace them with.

NOTE: This tutorial may not be 100% accurate due to the amount of lost doccumentation. So time to time the tutorial may update.

I have put all the depricated objects in categories to make it easier to find.
The functions and other category are still in work.

Instances

FloorWire:
A legacy type of beam that would show the fastest path between two baseparts
FloorWire | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with Beams. By using pathfinding with a script we can draw a Beam between each point to find the fastest path more accurately.

Flag:
The flag instance allowed you to make capture the flag style games without coding and was maintained by Roblox. The flag would be on a FlagStand instance and when touched would weld to the player’s back until returned back to the player’s original team or the player dies.
Flag | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with Roblox’s capture the flag style template Capture The Flag - Roblox

FlagStand:
This was the stand that would hold the Flag instance and capture other team’s flags
FlagStand | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with Roblox’s capture the flag style template Capture The Flag - Roblox

CustomEvent:
This allowed players to send signals through the CustomEvent instance. This was the instance that powered the now gone personal server’s wiring tool.
This is still being used in some Roblox building games but not as much as before.
(Recently the CustomEvent instance has just stopped working in game sadly)
CustomEvent | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with the BindableEvents instance, if your looking for something simular use IntValues.

CustomEventReciever:
This was used to recieve signals from the CustomEventReciever instance connected to a CustomEvent using the .Source property.
This is still being used in some Roblox building games but not as much as before.
(Recently the CustomEventReciever instance has just stopped working in game sadly)
CustomEvent | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced listening to a bindable function or changes in a ObjectValue with the value connected to the int value simular to how the CustomEvents family worked.

FunctionalTest:
The FunctionalTest instance was a legacy version of the TestService. It has less functionalitys and unfortunitely there isn’t much to talk about it.
FunctionalTest | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with TestService.

GuiMain:
The GuiMain instance functions identically to the ScreenGui instance, its an older version of the ScreenGui instance.
FunctionalTest | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with the ScreenGui instance.

Hint:
The Hint instance is one of the most popular old instances used. It was a way for the server to send little hints to players before Roblox UI was announced. It is a black bar with some text on it that was on the top of your screen but back then it used to be a transparent gray box in the corner of your screen. It is still being used in some Roblox games but not as much as back then.
Hint | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with the TextLabel instance.

The Message instance is also part of the hints family and functioned like the hint. It is a transparent gray box that covers your entire screen but is was used a bit less compared to the hint. It is still being used in some Roblox games but not as much as back then.
Message | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with the TextLabel instance.

Hole:
The Hole instance is the most undoccumented instance out of all of these. It is an unused surface joint that had some functionality.
Hole | Roblox Creator Documentation
Unfortunitely I cannot provide a replacement due to its lack of doccumentation.

HopperBin:
The HopperBin instance used to be what tools were, it is basically a tool but it has no handle and it still works. Even after the release of tools, HopperBins were still used due to its special properties such as working without a handle and also having a BinType option that allowed the HopperBin instance to essentially become building tools without any scripting. The clone BinType would turn it into a cloning tool, the delete BinType would turn it into a delete tool and finnally the gametool/move BinType would turn it into a dragging tool. After the release of filtering enabled (FE) the tools basically became useless for multiplayer and tool’s then had a new property to allow it to work with no handle, essentially rendering the HopperBin instance useless today.
HopperBin | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with the Tool instance with RequiresHandle set to off. For the building part I recommend using community made building tools such as F3X.

SelectionPartLasso:
The SelectionPartLasso instance casts a beam from a player’s humanoid to an instance.
This was primarily used in building tools such as the paint tool.
SelectionPartLasso | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with a Beam instance connecting from the player’s Torso to the part.

SelectionPointLasso:
The SelectionPointLasso instance casts a beam from a player’s humanoid to a vector3 point in the world. This was primarily used in shooting games as an aiming laser.
SelectionPointLasso | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with a Beam instance connecting from the player’s Torso to a part that has the vector3 position you want.

SkateboardPlatform
The SkateboardPlatform instance was like a sidegrade to the Seat instance. It was used to allow players to make skateboard models. It has became very broken after filtering enabled (FE) and you can no longer dismount using backspace.
SkateboardPlatform | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced using a custom scripted seat with a custom animation.

Skin:
The Skin instance is the most basic instance. It is bassically a legacy version of the BodyColors instance. When you set specific brickcolor and put it on a character, the entire character will change to that brickcolor. Skin unfortunitely does not work on the newer R15 characters.
Skin | Roblox Creator Documentation
This can be replaced with the BodyColors instance or you can individually color each limb.

Functions
Other

I hope this guide helped!

6 Likes

I already made a topic that gives a list of all deprecated Instances, functions, etc including the ones that are undocumented:

4 Likes

I like this guys better and yours is missing quite a bit that this one has

1 Like

Your one has a bit more, but mine has more information including how what to replace it with.

1 Like

@ValiantWind @thebigreeman you should associate yours two topics so it can be better for everyone.

3 Likes

Do you mind telling me what I’m missing in PMs so I can update it?

1 Like

In my guide, I have explain what the object is and how what to replace it with compared to you where you just posted the links to the doccumentation.

I meant what deprecated instances, functions, etc that im missing so I can update my post

Edit: I edited my post to include the replacements along with some other information.

1 Like

A hole used to connect certain types of VelocityMotor together using a part. The whole assembly containing a Hole could be replaced with simply a Motor6D.

Unfortunately, since VelocityMotor and the RotateP and RotateV instances don’t seem to be active for some reason, I created a model in 2020 that allows you to fix these, called MotorFix. Roblox has appeared to have fixed some functionality, but due to a FE bug that has not been fixed yet, these instances do not correctly replicate the active connections from Part0 to Part1. Enabling and disabling the motor after it has been assigned to a network owner fixes the issue.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll remember to add this later.

What an interesting post. Definitely shows how Roblox has changed since it’s release. Found a free model with a skateboard platform on it, strange how it still can be accessed but new ones can’t be made.