A-Level Coursework Project

So I have a A-Level coursework project in roughly 3 months time, where I intend to make a Roblox game using Lua for. Since I’ve always wanted to make a fully-fledged game, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any good resources to learn Lua and other aspects of game development. E.g. Modelling, music composing. I’d also love to hear about any genre of game that you would recommend me to make, considering that I have some previous basic knowledge of Lua and game development.

The coursework hasn’t started yet, so I wanted to give myself time to design my game, and learn more about the Lua programming language. I also want to post progress on this game online to keep a dev log of the design process.

I already have a intermediate knowledge of python and beginner C++ knowledge, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to translate my skills to Lua.

4 Likes

If you want a fully fledged game ready in 3 months without advanced skills in scripting modelling etc you should really design you game around your capabilities.

It’s very easy to run away with your ideas to make the most amazing experience ever but in reality that is really hard to do in that time frame on your own even if you were amazing at every part of game development.

My advice would be to start small and build up from that, what game could you do that doesn’t require a bunch of complex scripts because I imagine that’ll be what trips you up. Things like tycoon games or simulators, we love to hate them but they work and they don’t take months or years to make.

Hope it goes well tho, whatever you do :+1:

2 Likes

3 months is enough time to make a simple game. But it’s not enough time to learn how to program. It’s also not enough time to learn how to 3d model. Making games is hard, and costs a lot of time.

1 Like