A question on r6 seating

So I made this animation for a game I’m working on, and I’m not great at this stuff. I animated it in studio with a woman body so it would look normal for 2.0s and 3.0s while still looking alright for 1.0s. This is the studio screenshot(3.0)

and here is the 1.0(my avatar)

Is there a better way to do this? 1.0 has a tiny bit of clipping on the table and I have received some tips to try and avoid that.

2 Likes

Is there any animators who can tell me how they do r6 seating animations?

Sure, but keep in mind that you should typically not be using R6 unless you’re purposely going for an outdated or cartoony feel for your game.
Some things that I would change;

1. Move the chair backwards more. It would be really uncomfortable if I had to sit like that talking while to people in real life.
  2. The character looks un-natural, even for R6 standards. I would fix this by making their butt-area more planted to the ground.
  3. Your character’s hands are in a place that normal people wouldn’t theirs. Maybe sit the hands in a lap? Or if that’s too feminine looking then you could also have the character doing a different pose entirely where they look more like a bored teenager in high school.

Here’s also some of my animating knowledge on mimicking poses.

1. Don’t be afraid to make your animation look a bit different from the original image. If you have a certain leg piece that looks better in one spot then the picture’s spot, don’t be afraid to use it!
  2. Static animations don’t convey emotion. When you make an animation, you want it to at least have a slight bit of movement. No living thing can sit perfectly static and still in one spot for eternity, and that’s why some animators make their animations look more real using things like idle-animated-head-scratches. You can also choose to purposely make it look static to give it an uncanny valley effect (lots of horror games do this.).

Okay, that’s all I feel like typing. Let me know if you need extra tidbits of information :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Thanks for typing this out, and yes, I am kind of going for a cartoony feel. Also the animation isn’t static, with subtle breathing a head movements. This really clears it up for me.
Cheers

So the left foot seems to be resting on the toes of the right foot with the 3.0 avatar. Since the 1.0 avatar doesn’t have toes, I think it would be better to have both feet on the table or change the animation to have one leg crossed over another.

I suggest animating with 2.0 package instead, it goes perfectly hand in hand with 1.0 and 3.0 in my experience animating with it, and avoids clipping at a much better degree due to how much larger the legs are in proportion, nearly matching 1.0