A Roblox Wagering Game

Hello fellow Developers!

Myself and a friend thought about making a gambling/wagering game where you have different gamemodes like:

• Case Openings
  • Mines
  • Crash
  • Upgrader
  • Jackpot
  • Blackjack
  • Coinflip

In Roblox’s Community Standards under SAFETY it states this:

Except where prohibited by local law or regulation, we allow the portrayal of gambling in experiences, no real money, Robux, or anything that can become real money or Robux, may be exchanged in these experiences. We also require that the odds of winning be fair and not skewed in the developer’s favor.

from my understanding, this tells me that I am allowed to create an experience as long as I do not use Robux for the gamemodes, but rather a virtual currency. The odds also have to be fair, not rigged so you lose.

In order to get any revenue from the experience I would get Premium Payouts, but what if I had an option where users could get virtual currency by using Robux?

The Exchange rate would be something like this:
R$ 100 → 1 000 Virtual Currency

Of Course Players could earn the Virtual Currency by doing other stuff like clicking a button, or collecting Items or just being in the game for more than 5 consecutive minutes etc. or if you wanted to go F2P you could just not buy anything with Robux so it’s a choice Players have to take.

Would this comply with Roblox?

1 Like

I am not sure about that. People can pay Robux and get virtual currency that later can be gambled with and lost. In the Community Standards, it says that no gambling with Robux is allowed. It may comply with the Community Standards. I am not sure.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

That is my understanding as well.

1 Like

This is the only part not allowed by community standards, your in-game currency becomes obtainable with Robux, so the players are capable of gambling their Robux. Completely separate these two currencies so that a user can’t trade robux <-> your currency, then you can gamble with your currency. You can still add some sort of monetization like hats and skins that players can buy with Robux, but those also have to be unusable in gambling too.

what if there was an option to Donate to the Developers, when donating you would receive a bit of Virtual Currency?

Same issue, different delivery. Gambling can be extremely addictive, and any method to obtain in-game currency to fuel the addiction, even if labelled a donation reward, will be used.

1 Like

I know where you got this exact idea from but I’d say it’s probably not allowed

Buying in-experience currency with Robux and using it in a gambling system is using Robux by proxy. You lose the Robux and the currency. That’s not allowed at all.

Currency has to be completely free if used in a gambling system. No Robux whatsoever, be it directly or by proxy. No potential link, no actual link. (As of 06/20/2023: going into effect 09/18/2023, free/simulated gambling is also now banned. No Robux gambling, no free gambling.)

1 Like

What if you could buy a Case for Robux, then you would be guaranteed an item?

EDIT: What if there was a separate currency (Gambling tokens) where you could earn it by playing the game or you could buy some tokens, the tokens can be used for opening cases

If an item is guaranteed then yes Robux can be involved either directly or by proxy but there’s a different policy you need to follow. Please read the threads I linked and additionally Randomized Virtual Items Policy. There’s sufficient explanation in each of these links.

2 Likes