A toggle allowing developers to set whether the inventory will close upon a tool being used

A recent Roblox update regarding the backpack, where clicking an empty space on the screen now closes the inventory, has interfered with the mechanics of some games.

Many games utilise the backpack and, more specifically, its inventory, for running animations which can represent actions such as dance movements or fighting stances.

Due to this new update, users are now forced to reenter the inventory after a single use of a tool if they desire to select another animation. This is inconvenient in the following ways:

• Using tools as a mechanism for running animations has been continuously efficient, successful and intuitive for both players and developers alike, and now this same efficiency has been drastically reduced due to the fact that the update has limited a player’s capability to switch quickly from one animation to the next.
  • From a player’s standpoint, reentering the inventory after a single use of a tool to select another animation is tiring and tedious, especially when done for a prolonged period of time.
  • It also creates unnecessary pauses between animations and leads to combined use of different animations to feel disorientating and clunky, which, in the longterm, could possibly make players feel frustrated.

As a result, I would like to suggest a toggle which will allow the developer to set their own preference on whether the inventory will close when an empty space on the screen is clicked. As an alternative, this could also be introduced client side, where the toggle would then be placed in the player’s settings.

6 Likes

Coincidentally there was a related staff response about this here, for reference:

2 Likes

I am aware; my post was in staff approval during this so it’s just that it took a bit longer to be added to the forum. :slight_smile:

I’m going to keep this feature request up as I’m specifically requesting a toggle for this due to it probably being present for the foreseeable feature.

1 Like