Ability to compare .rbxl files or game places side-by-side

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to compare two place explorers side-by-side

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my game / my development experience because my development workflow includes having multiple “test places” and a “game place”. The game place is where the players play; it’s the final product. The test places are where developers for the game work on aspects of the game and get them ready to go live. The issue arises when devs work on multiple updates and work at varying speeds. For instance, Test place 1 implementing framework changes becomes outdated since Test place 2 only needed to add a dark theme to the UI. Of course, test place 1 would take longer to complete, and so test place 2 is published to the live game but test place 1 still doesn’t support the dark theme because it’s outdated.

Something that may be able to fix this would be a comparative feature for .rbxl files or game places. Think packages for a moment. Packages allow devs to compare scripts on different versions of the package. If that same functionality could be implemented to allow for two explorers to be compared (preferably without opening the entire place file because that would take forever) it would streamline the ability to identify outdated parts of the test place which has a larger update being worked on in it.

Example of the scripts thing I’m talking about:

If that same format was available but it hilighted differences between objects in the explorer that that would be exactly what I’m looking for.

16 Likes

I completely agree. This request needs more attention. My average session time went down a few minutes from one day to the next, and I need to know everything that was changed.