Ability to highlight code like we can highlight words in a google doc

I want the ability to highlight certain words, and have it so when I open the file again, those same words will still be highlighted.

Right now

This would help bring out certain words/selection of words that you would like to look for easily next time you edit the code.

1 Like

Or just use the very down low marker next to the line numbers. Just click.

…You do realize those are breakpoints, right?

…You do realize those are breakpoints, right?[/quote]
No, actually I didn’t. I never actually used it. But thanks for the heads up.

What exactly is your use case? Studio already has search functionality which makes it trivial to find keywords. You can also place comments and then search for those comments. I don’t really see how highlighting certain words provides any benefit over using text search.

It would be nice if when selecting something like a variable or text it would have a highlight like something similar to Sublime Text.

Purely visual aid.

I already use Ctrl F, Ctrl Shift F, Ctrl H.
Highlighting would be purely visual aid in order to find the highlighted words as quickly as possible.

Instead of just making the text editor they have better, I would love if they could allow us to use our own text editors (perhaps by saving scripts externally and updating in-game on save). I think this feature may be coming based on what we saw from RDC! That would be awesome because then we could use text editors that have been specifically designed to be good text editors for programmers.

1 Like

Unity has a way to export scripts to external editors and have the changes made in those editors appear immediately in the game’s files. Updating just whenever you save the game is too infrequent.

Purely visual aid.

I already use Ctrl F, Ctrl Shift F, Ctrl H.
Highlighting would be purely visual aid in order to find the highlighted words as quickly as possible.[/quote]

Hey guys, I suggested something similar to make organization easier (or visual aid), called Colored Sections. Check out the idea: http://developer.roblox.com/forum/studio-features/13109-updates-for-studio-s-text-editor-colored-sections-overview#141505

That may be the best idea I’ve ever read in regards to the script editor on ROBLOX.

Unity has a way to export scripts to external editors and have the changes made in those editors appear immediately in the game’s files. Updating just whenever you save the game is too infrequent.[/quote]

I knew I had worded that wrong – when I said save I meant on file save. But yeah, that’s exactly what I meant. It would be incredibly handy.

3 Likes

Going to bump this as this seems very important to many programmers out there.

As the replies above me have already stated, script editor and unity answer that I don’t have to explain but I have some other information that I want to point out.

Highlighting seems something that I would use, but if this could be added to the Roblox Engine/Studio then if there is a variable or string it could make that word a bit brighter like function or local, and especially return. I really do see some problems with highlighting when it comes to color choice and since variables are colored than the normal comment, it could be either beneficial or not.

Anyway, the ability to highlight similar to Google Docs is actually neat to hear and use as I would always want to highlight and hey key codes like yellow for left off, and red for a questionable line.

Agree, but it would be a hit or miss when it comes to highlighting comments and variables as I stated above but beneficial.

1 Like