Ability to preview Sound volume from a certain distance

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to balance my game’s audio levels while developing in studio.

Sound instances come with an option to preview the audio in the properties panel, but the preview always has a set audio level which does not take into account the distance from the listener to the source of the audio. It only takes into account the assigned Volume property’s value (and effects). However, many sound effects in games are played from a certain source that is a given number of units away from the audio listener. So in reality your audio will often be a bit more quiet during gameplay.

There are also no great tools at the moment to write plugins that do this for you. There are no APIs to get the volume of a sound at a certain distance, so users would have to find creative ways around that.

If Roblox were to add some way for developers to easily check how loud a sound is from a given distance from the source while in studio, it would make my workflow for balancing audio levels in my game a whole lot faster. I would no longer have to jump into Play Solo to see from different in-game locations how loud certain sounds are.

20 Likes