Ability to save signatures at end of posts

I would like to be able to save a line of text (Which is not obtrusive and limited to only a few hundred characters) that is a signature at the end of every post which adds to devforum glamour and customisation. Users will have the ability to turn it off, turn off visibility of signatures, and more.

2 Likes

There is no need to sign your posts; your name is already visible at the top left of them. If you really wanted this though, you should make an extension for yourself that does this, or ask meta.discourse.org for this.

It really isn’t necessary though.

Something else I have also noticed is that people sign their posts to intentionally bypass the 30 limit for something that would without the signature be under 30. If this were implemented it would make bypassing that limit much easier since it would be built into the forum

11 Likes

Signatures are nothing but annoying clutter. I will actively oppose this. There is no need for petty vanity on the forum; you already have your profile bio for extra information, and username on your posts by default.

8 Likes

I agree with Discourse staff on the subject of signatures. Here’s what one of the co-founders said:

We’d actually prefer that you switch to different discussion software rather than being forced to build this. Even if that means you are no longer a customer.

I just want to be absolutely crystal clear about our stance on this. We view signatures as harmful, like smoking, something we don’t want to ever encourage or support in any way.

(Source: Plugin for signatures? - #28 by codinghorror - feature - Discourse Meta)

5 Likes

Signatures are unnecessary. We can see your username and half of the time they are just bypasses to the character limit set by staff members.

3 Likes