Ability to turn off translations for certain games

As a Roblox player, it’s impossible to be able to enjoy games that recently rolled out low-quality translations into their games without needing to switch your language back to English. Low-quality translations make it impossible to understand the objectives of the game. Being able to turn off the translations for that one game will make sure that players can still enjoy the game.

As someone who worked on fixing low-quality translations, I’ve noticed an increase of playtime and player count in general with fixed translations by 30%.

An example of a game that would do way better with this feature implemented

This is Pet Tycoon. In Polish, it’s currently translated to “Kingpin of Domestic Animals”. The title itself suggests that it’s going to be a game with low-quality translations.

Going inside the game we notice that there are no translations, to begin with. Because the title has been translated to what it currently is, many players opt to not join the game because of the low-quality title.

Currently, you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and change the language or go to the settings in order to play games without translations. After you’re done playing, you need to make sure you turn translations back on to play games with translations again.

If Roblox were to address this issue, it’d help the games with low-quality translations with the loss of players due to faulty translations. Players would also be able to choose whenever or not they want to experience the game in the original language or in their native one.

This option could be toggled in the page summary page. Mock-up:

24 Likes

Omg automatic translations or just bad ones in general drive me crazy. Not only is this feature useful to avoid translation but some games just don’t work with it.

I can’t even use my native language (Spanish) because some games that have typewriter effects just don’t work. The text will type itself out in English only for the end result to be the language you have set on Roblox, which kinda sucks for the ux, so 100% support.

7 Likes

This needs to be seen more, someone needs to popularize this topic, I also hate some of the translations in my games, for example one of them shows enemy stats simply as (for example) “speed 2 hp 30” but with this auto translation it mirrors it for some reason and makes it look like enemies have absurd speed, and another example is that, I have a game with maps and one of them is called “Substraction”, in english this is cool sounding and might attract players, but in all other languages it sounds bad and childish (and that’s the worst one, the rest aren’t equally as bad but they still sound bad). There needs to be a way to turn off auto-translation.

5 Likes