Ability to use Studio's UI Editor on SurfaceGui children

So, as a developer who specializes in building it is a little too confusing to work with SurfaceGui.
I could just type in the values in properties tab, but ability to toggle label scaling, simillar to the usual scaling tool, or scaling on ScreenGui for part would be overall more intuitive, as you can just scale it to whatever size you need, while with typing, you have to guess how much approximately value would be.
As we can see scaling options are presented in ScreenGui.
Screenshot_80
But on SurfaceGui they’re not.
Screenshot_81

For myself while developing addition of this feature would allow to scale SurfaceGui children, like TextLabel, TextBox, ImageLabel etc.
much more efficiently, and with ease without guessing how much i have to type of the size value for it to be correct one.

9 Likes

If you set the Size property of the TextLabel to {1,0},{1,0} it will take up the entire face of that part no matter how large or small the part is. This is a relatively easy thing to do and doesn’t require any guessing and checking.

In the Size property above, 1 represents the percentage of the face that the textlabel will take up. If you only want it to take up half, you will use 0.5 instead of 1.

Due to this, it is relatively easy to setup SurfaceGuis without the handles. If you really want the handles, you can even set up your SurfaceGuis on a ScreenGui then drag them over once you’re satisfied. As long as you are using the Scale property instead of Offset (for Size and Position), there won’t be any difference other than the proportions of your screen relative to the part.

All in all, I disagree that handles should be added to SurfaceGuis, they aren’t really a necessary feature for your development and will just result in UI getting in the way rather than making your development better.

2 Likes