Abnormal Click/CTR on Website Advertisement

Reproduction Steps
I do not have specific repro steps for this particular situation, as this is the first and only time (so far) that this has ever happened to me, and it happened randomly.

Browser Information:

• User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/95.0.4638.69 Safari/537.36
  • Platform Type: PC
  • Device Type: Computer

Expected Behavior
I would expect a much lower click count and a much lower CTR (below 100% rather than above 1000%, for sure). I run ads almost every day, and I’ve never seen this happen.

Actual Behavior
I just ran a basic skyscraper advertisement for my game for 350 Robux the other day and later I check to see that there have been 362,550 clicks even though there were only 27,160 impressions (leading to an abnormal CTR). I am not sure if this is due to some sort of wild botting, or what the particular issue could be.

Image:

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: Create - Roblox
Impact: Low
Frequency: Very Rarely
Date First Experienced: 2021-11-04 14:11:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-11-04 14:11:00 (-04:00)

7 Likes

As @Limited_Unique was implying by the image above, your advertisement was botted, thus causing the abnormal click/impression ratio.

2 Likes

Long time known “bug”

Can be replicated by just clicking multiple times on an ad, since clicks are counted as such (and not “users who have clicked” which would givr more accurate results)

This happened to me as well earlier this year. Both are the same ad, but one of them has almost 20% CTR which is impossible under normal circumstances. Ads were skyscraper and ran under one of my groups.

2 Likes

Banner/Skyscraper Ads not functional.

Reproduction Steps
Clicking any ad takes you to a roblox page with the wrong link format, that results in a 404 error.

They seem to be resulting in the wrong link format.
For example some random ads I clicked:
Roblox
Roblox

Unsure if it’s related, probably isn’t - but unable to create a website bug support, so totally hoping someone will split this to a seperate thread.

1 Like

I noticed the above as well, and it’s only active on Game/Experience links. Group and other seem to work fine.

Yeah I’m thinking it must only be some users, otherwise surely it would have been reported by now?
Alot of money being spent on ads that are doing nothing.
I wonder if it still counts as a click if people click an ad that takes them to an invalid game page.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes