Accented character picker shows up when a key is held down after selecting an item in the explorer on macOS

Issue Type: Display
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-03-18 21:03:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-04-16 15:04:00 (-04:00)

Reproduction Steps:

• Select an Instance that is parented to Workspace in the Explorer
  • pan the camera or right click in the game view
  • press the “E”, “A” or “S” keys to move around.

As far as I know, Windows does not have an accented character picker like macOS so this should only affect Studio on macOS.

System information:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.58.34 PM
The exact CPU model is an Intel Core i5-8259U

Expected Behavior:
I expect that the camera moves in whatever direction I have specified based on the keys that I have pressed and not have a character picker pop up.

Actual Behavior:
when any key that has an accented version of that same letter (example: holding “E” will show accented versions of the letter E such as “ë”)

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 3.50.03 PM

This accented character picker should only show up when a text field is in focus and there currently is not a text field in focus because I am still able to move my camera around perfectly fine.

This started occurring after the 470.5 release so I think that the Qt 5.12 update has something to do with this bug.

3 Likes

This is a standard feature of Mac. You can toggle it back to repeat keys on long press rather than popping up that character picker:

2 Likes

Though I don’t use a mac, this seems like bad UX asking the user to turn this off. If possible Studio should block this behavior when not focusing an input.

4 Likes