Accessory collision issues

• What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
    I’m attempting to add multiple accessories to a single body attachment location. Specifically the “BodyBackAttachment” on the upper torso of an R15 rig.

• What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)
    The accessories collide with the body of the character (if attachment on accessory isn’t far enough away) and the accessories collide with one another and the 2nd accessory ends up displaced above the first.

• What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)
    I’m not sure what solutions to try. I have collisions turned off in the modeling menu and made both handles “CanCollide” value as false but, neither seems to make a difference. I originally was trying to do this as a multi-part accessory but ran into the issue of only the handle scaling and not the other part. I did some searching on the forum and web but was unable to find anything matching my issue. I’ve seen accessories overlap in other games before so I know its possible.

This the video below: the orange accessory demonstrates the accessory collision with the rig and the red and blue accessories demonstrate the collisions with each other.

3 Likes

How are you attaching these accessories to the character? Humanoid’s AddAccessory?

Also, since this is such a simple problem, it would help if you uploaded a rbxl file that other users could use to reproduce and debug the issue.

2 Likes

I’m just copying the accessory and pasting it into the character model.
I tried using the AddAccessory function and it didn’t even attach to the character it just appeared there and fell off immediately. That was done through the command line.

The accessory is simple: its 1 block part name “Handle” with 1 attachment parented to the handle called “BodyBackAttachment”. The handle is parented to the Accessory object.

I didn’t expect this would be needed so I did not save the place file I was using in the video but I’ll recreate it and post it.

Here is a recreation file. I used a R15 rig from rig builder instead of my own character model, but the issue is the same. The displacement is more exaggerated when using my own character model but that is likely due to body shape. My avatar is just an R15 with 100% body scale. I also use the “RobloxBoy” body parts.
AccessoryCollisionEx.rbxl (23.3 KB)

Well after playing with all this for awhile now I think I figured out whats happening…

When I first tried using the “AddAccessory” function I was doing it from the command line while in solo play mode in studio. The accessory was simply moved to the proper location and then fell off and never attached.

When testing in studio with the 3 accessories I was copying the accessory and pasting it into the character model. That’s when the collision issues were happening.

I just finished another test where I created parts that were scripted to add the accessory when I touched the part with my character while in solo play. Here I again
used the “AddAccessory” function and it seems to work this way. All three accessories were attached without collision.

Might have failed because it was done client side. In the future if you do it from the server, it may work.

3 Likes