Account Age Minimum Limits (for games)

I’ve seen the topic of account age limits over the years countless times. Some devs say it’s allowed, and some say it’s a bannable offense. Others say it’s an unspoken rule. Devs have done 2-day limits, while others have done up to a 30-day account age limits. I know account age limits aren’t a perfect solution to the exploiter problem, but they do help. But I haven’t seen a definitive answer to if this is allowed or not.

I and others want to know what’s Roblox’s deal (if any) with account age limits are because all I’ve heard are rumors.

3 Likes

The only problem I see in implementing this restriction is how your potential earnings may be drastically reduced. If money isn’t your priority than this wouldn’t be a concern of yours.

Imagine being a new player to be banned by their first place on this platform… yeah I can understand why roblox may not be fond of this bandaid fix

This is an OT response so I’ll be blurring my answer to reduce spam. Spoiled kids that discovered roblox late? Robux is rather inexpensive as well considering the most expensive option is only $100.

1 Like

It just doesn’t make sense, because exploiters can have accounts older than 30 days ready to go. There are a lot of people who want to just want to make an account and jump into the game to play regularly.

Not a very practical solution.

1 Like

What account that is 2 or less days old have robuxs to spend?

I’m pretty sure exploiters don’t have 100 accounts on the ready. Usually when someone is banned from a game, they make a new account right after so they can continue. A simple 2 day limit would prevent this.

You would be surprised what dedicated exploiters have on hand.

Besides, them simply waiting 2 days after creating the accounts and just exploiting again doesn’t stop the issue.

It discourages them and postpones repeated attacks that can hurt player counts (and make admins less stressed) if the game keeps getting exploited.

If you have thousands of potential exploiters with at least one alt account each, and not all of them are stopped by your anti-exploit, there is still a lot of potential exploiting going to happen, waiting time or otherwise.

The best thing you can to is secure your game to the best of your ability, and try to eliminate game breaking exploits.

We already have AE, but an AE system is impervious to attacks. Also there is a point where exploits are impossible to reliably be detected by AE without false positives, so you have to sacrifice it’s effectiveness over not banning innocent players.

Lets keep the thread clean. The poster is looking for whether roblox will ban devs for implementing a limit. He is not looking for if its a good idea to do so.

3 Likes

Whether they ban for it or not, it still doesn’t make sense to use that method for anti-exploit.

Depends on the exploiter’s personality, while some exploiters may be discouraged others might be provoked resulting in more destructive behavior being triggered. As I’ve stated before, these types of solutions are only bandaid fixes meaning it should only be used to delay potential exploiters.

Inevitably the only solution is to design a better AE system to make your game less vulnerable.

The simple answer to your questions:

• Is it bannable - as far as I am aware no, its your game and your choice what you do with it: you may lose part of your audience if you set the limit too high as some people will only be playing Roblox for a few days: you will not receive this audience if you set it to two weeks.
  • Would they even ban you at all? No, its barely even an infraction - sure your probably not treating all audiences fairly but its not like your doing it for suspicious reasons. The max they would do is moderate your game until you remove it if they did have a rule against it.
  • Is it a good idea - not really, keeping out a decent percentage of your games possible audience isn’t worth it in order to protect your game from an even smaller percentage. The reality is a lot of these exploits can easily be patched / detected through comparing expected physics with actual physics. For example if someone passes through a wall or is somehow flying. Exploiters as mentioned by this point usually have an array of accounts, what would personally be better would be if Roblox created a form of IP ban but the issue with that is I do believe it adds additional risk to users - this is a shame but even then its not a sound method as vpns etc exist.
  • Does it discourage attacks? Again, for some not really. Exploiters feed off your misery and reactions, the best thing you can do is be quiet and try to patch it or report it to the exploit group in DevForum (I’ve done this about 5 times with 5 different exploits, its very simple and they’re well engaged). Banning can make it more boring as you go along, but for others they just wont stop.
6 Likes

To your 3rd bullet point, yes, It may reduce our audience, but if the game is niche, then that wouldn’t have an impact anyways. People new on Roblox usually only play front page games first for a while anyways.

1 Like

Very true, the only contradictions I could make is:

• what if a veteran (i.e. someone whos not new to Roblox and has played these front page games) makes a new account and decides to play your game?
  • what if you become a front page game randomly, would you just have to say “sorry this is 30 days+ only”?

For group games though, restricting based on age is pretty fine especially when you have admins who fly about and make it impossible for you to exploit check people. :grimacing:

1 Like

We would do around a 2 day limit. I feel 30 days is excessive.

2 Likes