Achieving Infinite Replayability

In this article, I’m going to go over what is infinite replayability and how to achieve it.

Of course, infinite replayability may not be necessary for a game to be successful, and a game with infinite replayability may not be successful either. However, it does help the game, and creates a better experience for the player.

What is Infinite Replayability?

Infinite replayability gives players a reason to rejoin your game. They never get bored of the game, and there is usually never an end to the game. That’s what makes the game “Infinite” - not having an end. Without it, players play your game once, and may not ever play it again, for they will have the exact same experience playing it the second time. Varying the actual gameplay creates infinite replayability. Players will never get bored of the game for too long before joining back to play again, which in turn means they will continue to spend robux on it, play it with friends, etc. Story games usually have no replayability, whilst sandbox games have the most replayability. Of course, infinite means that a player will play it until the day they die, which is impossible - they will always get bored of it eventually. This means that infinite replayability is impossible, but getting near it is what’s really important.

TLDR: Infinite replayability always gives a player a reason to rejoin the game.

Examples of Infinite Replayability

Games that have infinite replayability:

• Jailbreak
  • Minecraft / Terraria
  • Sim City and other city games
  • No Man’s Sky (although not correctly implemented)

Games with limited replayability:

• Phantom Forces and other shooters
  • Most Tycoons
  • Apocalypse Rising and Deadmist
  • CSGO

Games that do not have infinite replayability:

• Bioshock: Infinite and other story games
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands
  • Some Tycoons

Why is Infinite Replayability Important?

It is important because without it, games tend to drop off quickly in player count, and may not be successful solely due to lack of replayability. Higher player counts also means higher profit.

How to Achieve Infinite Replayability

1. Progression. Progession is important for infinite replayability, as it is rarely done when paired to the rest of the ways to achieve infinite replayability. Progression, or rewarding player’s gameplay permanently, is key for infinite replayability. Games like Apocalypse Rising have no permanent progression, for you lose everything when you die. Jailbreak has good progression, as you can earn cash to buy vehicles, apartments, etc.

2. Non-linear Gameplay. Non-linear Gameplay is important, because it creates unique game scenarios that never repeat. Games like Minecraft rarely repeat upon gameplay, due to procedurally generated maps and it’s sandbox mechanics. Gameplay that dynamically reacts to player’s actions and their environment is important for non-linearity. Rail shooters and story games, however, have no gameplay variation. Players will only play it once and never pick it up again, because of its linearity.

3. Player to Player Interaction. Pretty much 99% of all Roblox games have this, but it is important to cover. Player to player interaction is important because it amplifies gameplay variation, and allows players to play with their friends. For example, Call of Duty zombies. Playing alone can tend to have somewhat similar outcomes, and can get rather boring after a few games. On the contrary, playing with others online can create different situations based on other’s skill levels, and therefore create varying gameplay. Roleplay games thrive off of player to player interaction.

4. Continued Support from the Developers. Games where the developers have ditched the game or rarely updated can be bad for players who’ve played the game for a while. They can experience everything the game has to offer, and then choose to not play again. Of course, whenever developers update a game, player count tends rise as players see what content was added. Making sure that there is always a stream of fresh unseen content to your players will keep them coming back for more.

5. Leaderboards and Competition. Yeah, I was reluctant to add this one as it isn’t super important, but leaderboards create immense amount of competition when implemented right. Players get hooked on getting a better place on the leaderboard, and making it to the top. I’ve experienced it myself, and I’m sure you have as well.

What to Avoid when Applying Infinite Replayability

There are plenty of successful games that don’t have infinite replayability. Some people love the games I’ve listed under having no replayability, and they find replayability in it because the rest of the game is so enjoying.
There are also plenty of unsuccessful games that do have infinite replayability. For Example, No Man’s Sky. Their biggest mistake was not correctly implementing infinite replayability. Their procedural planets and animals had little variation, and planets tend to have very few biomes. Basically, the entire planet would be the same. And every planet around it would also be the same.

Big thanks to darkhero149 for helping me make my first devforums article.

I hope this article helped, I might add onto this article in the future :grinning:

83 Likes

Jailbreak has both infinite and limited replayability? Might wanna clear that up. :+1:

I’m kinda working on a sandbox-type of game that ought to have infinite replayability, I hope at least, so it’s good to know the specs. It’s moreso open-world survival games (Apocalypse Rising, Minecraft, Terraria) that have a lot of creative potential that draws in players to replay it again and again, tycoons and FPS games only focus on the developer’s creative direction so that results in their fun value being limited in a different - but not bad - way.

3 Likes

thanks, I fixed it lmao.

I showed him how to use buttons on devforums

6 Likes

Nice :wink:

Personally I think another very good example of a game with infinite replayability is Path of Exile. It was designed to do a lot with a limited number of assets (Grinding Gears Games is a small kiwi game development studio) - and now it has grown very successful.

Every 3 months, a new expansion is released that adds new content to the game and/or revamps the rewards and certain gameplay mechanics.
This encourages replaying the game and trying to do the best you can in one - or all - of three gamemodes (Standard - no season-specific content, ____ (Softcore) - named after season-specific content (and of course it has that content) and Hardcore - where your character gets transferred to Standard after they die).

It also idealises what I think the game industry should be - it is free to play, yet a great game, and not buying anything doesn’t affect your gameplay that much. Most revenue is made from cosmetics or stash (inventory) tabs.

I’m kind of addicted to it.

3 Likes

No Mans Sky has replayability but its not that good. I think think thread feels like its a solution to gaining a large surplus of players when this goes and ahead and neglects player retention, behavior, and marketing.

Phantom Forces lacks replayability? I simply don’t see it that way. Its a game of competition and I don’t see it or Call of Duty failing.

Replayability value is in every game. It is not a feature, it’s the value of revisiting the game itself. I will play Bioshock many times over for the experience than a poor replayable game.

2 Likes

Yeah, to be honest I was between where to put shooters. FPS games do have good replayability, but I couldn’t quite put it in the infinite category due to their limited content. Of course, games like PF have a crazy amount of content and customization.

Replayability has to do with the value of the game itself to revisit it. All games of any form can have it, but you are right that certain aspect of a game can contribute. Just from me perspective it looks too short sighted on what replayability is simply because of game content…

My point again, No Mans Sky has Poor Replayability - even though you said it has Infinite Replayability.

Infinite Replayability is not a solution to a problem, but it is indeed a development aspect that effect player retention - that falls on value.

EDIT: Reminder that No Mans Sky failed due to being bland more than not meeting up to expectations. It has much replayability has DayZ. Yet you see a big difference.

1 Like

I’ve only watched No Man’s Sky on youtube, I’ve never played it. The fact that it has procedural planets, animals, etc should theoretically make it have infinite replayability, but it still failed. I have it under infinite replayability because its a great example of procedural gameplay.

It would be great if you highlighted when and where to use “infinite replayability” mechanics. Game modes would be an example of “Infinite Replayability” because a new mode starts all the time. Being so broad as to call a game with procedural generation “infinite.” There is pros and cons to using it, both on the game and the developers creating it due to time and money.

It is not a one size fits all solution - and I think it’s something you should highlight here about issues to avoid, what’s appropriate, and what’s not in most cases.

There is no theoretical way to make a game infinite or the replayability unless a 0.1 value difference for another new planets size is the only thng making you determine that games value for replayability.

Sure, i’ll make a segment where I talk about issues to avoid

correction sir minecraft does not have replayability explain why everyone who owns a copy of minecraft says “i played it for a while but i stopped cause it got boring”

1 Like

smh cause they grew out of it, and this isnt about whether the games are good or not, its more so about creating infinite replayability, which is only theoretical since no one is ever gonna play it forever

1 Like

How do Association Football (soccer) and Chess rank on this? Both have been around for millions of years with hundreds of games being played in each.

5 Likes

Soccer and chess are hard ones. However, some of what I wrote can actually apply to those. Soccer and chess have replayability due to them never being the same game (gameplay variation). Soccer games are never the same game twice, and chess is near impossible for a game to repeat move for move. This makes different scenarios that the player has to react to and adapt to in order to win. They also have player to player interaction (except for computer chess) which means you come across people with different skill levels that change the gameplay and difficulty. Leaderboards and competition are apparent here as well, where teams compete for trophies. There are also plenty of external things effecting replayability of sports, like gambling, etc.

1 Like

While having infinite replayability is a huge strength for a game, I think that a lot of times it might be even better for a game to be short and memorable.

For example:
I have way more hours in Terraria (an open sand box game)
than Wuppo (a linear platformer)
but i love Wuppo way more because of the “one time” nature of it. It makes the game feel special and allows it to have rich story elements, something that’s harder to do in a game that you’re expecting to be played again and again.

Sure, if the main focus of your game’s development is to make money, then you’ll definitely want infinite replayability, but if you want to create a memorable experience, infinite replayability is kinda a hindrance.

10 Likes

This guy gets it!

I believe your reply here is more inline with the title “Achieving Infinite Replayability”. I really like the concept of your article and many of the great insights you shared. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together!

If you are looking to improve the main article, I would suggest that infinite world mechanics are not equal to infinite replayability. I think that style of world/game design one might choose in hopes of achieving infinite replayablitiy, but it no more defines replayablity than having witty NPC characters and narration; beautiful graphics can also make (or break) a game’s infinitely replayable, imo. It’s a good article, because it invites thought, opinions, analysis, and most important, better game design. I look forward to seeing how you refine this.

3 Likes

mods

7 Likes

You’re right, mods are wonderful for replayability. sadly its very hard to setup mods for a roblox game